What would you say or do when your ds11 is spending way too much time in the bathroom?

Even though he says he's taking a dump then he'll take a shower...He's in there at least 45 mins. (Luckily we have 2 bathrooms) So I just let him be.
I'll ask him if he is alright he'll say yeah...I just tell him to make it quick stop messing around.

Thanks for reading!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:35 PM on Feb. 26, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would also- NOT saying anything about masturbation- discus how he is older and you want to start respecting his privacy so you will start knocking and waiting to be invited in (waiting with in reason of course) I would consider getting him a 'do not disturb sign' Make his room his safe place so he is not taking up the bathroom.
    Anonymous

• If you have 2 bathrooms why does it matter?
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:01 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• When I visit my daughter's house and her sons do that in the only bathroom I simply knock on the door and tell them to take it to their private place, I need the bathroom! We all know it happens. As long as I don't get inconvenienced I'm ok with it. I've also learned over the years to knock on their bedroom door and waiting for an answer before entering. More than one time I got a shock but acted normal and backed out of the room! So I now knock and wait.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:03 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• I think I only would say or do something if it (his extended time in the bathroom) were creating an issue for me, and if that were the case I would address it directly, just letting him know the issue. That lets him know how his behavior is affecting someone else, and that it's a problem. And it lets him know what I would like to have happen (I make a request.) I'm also open to mutual problem-solving or any solution other than my strategy that works.

Pretty much like any other thing--just sharing how it impacts me/the household & stating my preference/making a request.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 6:23 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• Be thankful you have 2 bathrooms. My SS is 26 and spends an hour in my only bathroom. I've had to get in the car and rush little kids to grandma's so they can poop. I wouldn't say a word to him.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 6:32 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• I don't say anything unless someone else needs to get in there. If that's the case, I just knock and tell him he needs to get done and get out of the bathroom, because other people are waiting to use it. We all know what they're doing in there, no need to draw any more attention to it. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:35 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• well at least he is clean??
    he is probably dealing with hard ons in private
    let him be
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 7:57 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• Leave him be unless you think he's ill or constipated or anything, and if he isn't running the water that whole time.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:26 AM on Feb. 27, 2013