Blind or not?

Some of you probably think I should just drop this, and if you do, then nobody is compelling you to read any further. But it has been said that I've made contradictory statements about my blindness, leading some CM members to doubt whether I have a disability. I think, now that a little of my rightful outrage has burned off, that the problem is many people have a flawed idea of what a blind person can know about the world.

I knew I had on a gray sweatshirt when I asked my daughter to tell me what color it was because I had sewed--yes, I can sew--a small clear label in the neckline with the braille letters "gry" on it.

I stated that my question about what my five-year-old could and couldnt see related to the fact that I can't see colors because, well, it *did* relate to the fact that I can't see colors. I can't see anything at all. But when I used the word "blind" more liberally, I was accused of talking about my disability too much. So I was trying not to do that.

I knew the roses I picked up at the church were crunchy because I could feel them. I knew they were black because first of all, I've been around roses and heard about them enough to be aware that black is the color they turn when they wilt up and die, and secondly my aunt was with me and she could see them.

I've grown up in a sighted world. I know that tomatoes and blood are red, the sky is blue, milk and snow are white, grass and broccoli are green, etc, etc.

I read braille. I proofread textbooks in braille. I do not see pictures on my computer screen.

I would be glad to answer any questions, but it seems thatit would be more constructie to ask rather than to assume someone doesn't have a disability.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 6:10 PM on Feb. 26, 2013 in About CafeMom

• I think this is asinine! You should not have to explain yourself to anyone here! Personally, I find it fascinating that you are able to cope so well & function as well as you do. I did not see the other post, so I hope I'm not offensive with this question. Since you have not had your sight since you were a baby, how do you understand the concept of colors? And can you differentiate from them? And I also wonder about spending money. If you have cash on you, are you ever worried someone will short change you? My oldest son is legally blind in 1 eye & we know if anything were to ever happen to his good eye, life would be so much harder for him. I admire all that you are able to accomplish. Don't let a few negative nellies ruin your day. It's not worth it. *hugs*

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:38 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• Yeah,don't feel the need to defend yourself. I'm really disturbed by you being attacked for supposedly making up your blindness.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:17 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• i dont think you've made up some lie about being blind. what purpose would that serve you? what benefit would you gain from it? anyone who would think that is a dumbass.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:35 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• I have a cousin who is blind. She lost her sight at around age 21 as a complication from Diabetes. She still "watches" television or "saw" a movie.
    That's just how people speak.
    People who are deaf and use sign language still gossip and say "I 'heard' she cheated on her husband".
    When you say you "ran" to the store do you always mean that you actually sprinted there? Or is it a figure of speech?
    Get over yourselves. Karma is a bitch.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 6:30 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• anyone who has been on here, knows about this, don't let someone get under your skin, you don't have to defend yourself.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 6:13 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• I have family friends who are blind. They say a lot of the same things like Ballad does. They say they "saw" a movie. They never say they went and listened to a movie. They enjoy the social aspect, the snacks, and the soundtracks, so they go. They also say they "watch" tv shows even though they have a "narrator feature' on their tv that tells them what people are doing. "Cassie is now headed for the door, while Jack frowns at her back", etc They never say "I listened to a really good show last night". So, I've never doubted Ballad's statements. But bottom line is, it doesn't matter to me. If someone ever feels the need to change up their life a little and not be the exact person they are in real life, Im fine with that. Ive said I am 6 feet tall. In reality, Im probably 5'113/4".... big freaking deal. :)
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 6:37 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• honestly, ive never once thought "how does she know ___. she's blind!". i knew a man that was legally blind who could see colors and even identify ppl but couldnt drive. i knew a legally blind girl who could read non-braille books when she wore REALLY thick glasses and held the book right in front of her face. ppl can be different degrees of blind. i knew a blind girl that didnt have real eyeballs (they were glass) and she used "sighted" terminology all the time. so its all good :)

i think the animosity you get isnt really about you being blind. dont take this the wrong way, im trying to be helpful. but it has more to do with your posts, your questions, your attitude, etc than your actual disability. its like my mom use to say "they're picking on you b/c they know what bothers you. stop letting it bug you and they will stop."
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:19 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• Tnm....EXACTLY!
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 6:36 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• I would think if you have never been blind you would have no right to question it, I have a deaf cousin who "hears" music, he feels the beat of it, tsk, tsk, she has been on here much longer than most of us, and has made her disability well known, but without asking for pity.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 6:49 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• wow
    did not know anyone questioned your sight issues

sad
    that cm is like this

and even sadder, that i am not too surprised
    that something like this occurs here these days

sorry you feel the need to defend yourself
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:39 PM on Feb. 26, 2013