Jewish Polytheism

I don't really know much about the author aside from her little bio blurb, I only noticed this one because it hit the Featured page:

Wrestling With Gods: Pagan Gnosis through Jewish Eyes

It's an interesting read, the article and all of the comments after it (the author replies to them). The main question I have after - when did Abrahamic faiths change from other gods exist and must be denied, lest they distract you from the Abrahamic god, to this is the ONLY god and all the other ones are lies?  Is it a side-effect of the massacre of the non-Christians that made any non-Abrahamic belief illegal?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 6:43 PM on Feb. 26, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I've heard of the story of Abraham smashing his fathers idols. And the covenant between god and Israel started with him so maybe then?

Moses was given the 10 commandments, then there were official laws, even though they did worship other gods. But even at that their god commanded you shall have no gods before me right? So if he is your main god would that allow wiggle room for lesser gods?

Does this mean the Jewish god is the only god or the only god they can worship? It's a very interesting question I might have to look more into it now.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 1:06 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• Yahweh and the Gods and Goddesses of Canaan by John Day sounds like an interesting book.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 1:55 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• Very interesting article, comments and responses.

I don't know why Judaism started to deny the existence of other gods in favor of a monotheistic practice. 

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 4:55 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• It is quite clear. Thou shalt not have no gods before me.
    Yes it is an acknowledgement of other gods but there is only one God that we are to worship. I am not Jewish but our faith has its foundations in the Jewish faith.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:17 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

If it's so clear, why do so many insist that's the only one that exists? It's taught as doctrine.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:19 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

What makes this god the only worthy god?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:41 PM on Feb. 27, 2013