How do u punish your 3 year olds?

I am a a mommy of a 3 year old little boy and I was curious how other moms punish their 3 year olds because I dont do the spanking thing so all I have done really is yell at him and that gets me no where but feeling like im repeating myself to a brick wall.

Mizzou_Sweetie

Asked by Mizzou_Sweetie at 6:58 PM on Feb. 26, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No yelling just talk to him.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:01 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• Distraction
    Also,it depends on what he does

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:02 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• wire hangers, LOL, just kidding
    I do time outs and rewards and take away.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 7:07 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• My son is 4 now but time outs never worked for us and spanking hurt my hand more than it hurt his bottom. Taking away toys and privileges has and still does work best for us. Rewarding works too.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 7:11 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• I make mine sit on the stairs until they are ready to stop doing whatever it was and apologize for it.

Answer by missanc at 7:18 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• Rewards for good behavior and distraction. Instead of yelling which he doesn't listen to try getting close and talking softly at this point he still wants to please you and will stop and listen to you.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 7:19 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• 1-2-3 Magic by Thomas W. Phelan

I modified it at after about age 4 to one warning. I do expect first time obedience but that is something we had to work towards.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:28 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• Time out. One min per age.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 7:38 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• I agree with PandaGwen and redirect his behavior to something more productive and see if that helps. Also, me sue HE knows that you understand when he is mad, sad, frustrated and say it back to him, "I know Billy, you are really MAD right now but throwing a fit won't help." Half the time they just want to be understood.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:52 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• Reward good behavior with lots of praise, hugs, and occasionally something bigger like a trip to the park with you. Ignore annoying behavior like whining that isn't going to get anybody hurt. Redirect if you see a dangerous activity or a fit or something that can be de-escalated. Time-out, but I use it sparingly so it doesn't lose its effectiveness. I make mine sit on the stairs because there's nothing to see or do there.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:47 PM on Feb. 26, 2013