"For the first time, the U.S. is on track to meet the goal of 90% high school graduation rate by 2020" ~ But is that as good as it sounds?

The current national graduation rate is 78.2% - up from 73.2% in 2006. This growth was driven in large part by significant gains in Hispanic and African American graduation rates, with Hispanic rates achieving the greatest gains, jumping 10 percentage points from 61 percent in 2006 to 71.4 percent in 2010. Similarly, African American graduation rates rose from 59.2 percent in 2006 to 66.1 percent in 2010.

I have seen many articles posted to THIS site about how test scores are altered for schools benfits, not childrens. There have been stories of minorities being given different, less stringent tests. There is also that a lot of things the kids are "learning" are so dumbed down. Is graduating for the sake of graduating what is best in the long run for these students AND our country? 

Don't get me wrong, it's GREAT that these kids are getting diplomas and able to continue their education. I am just not sure how much they actually know when this happens?

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 8:45 PM on Feb. 26, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I often wonder the same thing when I see the quality of writing so many kids put out on social media. They aren't learning grammar and spelling, that's for sure!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 8:49 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• I think the requirements they are putting in place should produce a quality, competitive student. What my 5th grader is learning in math, is what my son (graduated in 09) learned in 8th grade. They also introduced the kids to Shakespeare, which usually wasn't done until 9th grade. These kids are soaking it up like sponges. I hope they don't overload them too much. On a side note- whoever makes up these standardized tests needs to be smacked. They are horrible!

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:00 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• Tessie and the Mrs. are both right.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 9:23 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• Two things happened in education that caused a lot if what you are seeing (improved test scores, but lower skills in things like writing and grammar). 1. It was decided that teachers could only grade on their class content. So a student handing in a paper on social studies, can't be graded on spelling, punctuation, etc. only on the student's understanding of social studies. And 2. Teachers teach to the standardized testing. The focus of the curriculum is to get them to pass.

It's why I left teaching.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 9:41 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• Nimue is right, but they are fixing problem #1. the Common Core standards are being implemented in most states by 2014 and basically its putting the reading/writing elements back into every class. so as a History teacher i will be required to assign research papers and grade them per the grade level's English class standards. teaching to the test i wish would die...but were education is in this country it wont happen anytime soon :(

what i see in my education classes right now is amazing, the theory behind what im going to be expected to implement in my classroom will (ideally) put students back into having something to be proud of when they get their diploma. the batch that are in school right now...if they didnt put in personal effort they probably didnt learn jack. but by 2020 things should get better.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:57 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• *but where we are in education...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:58 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• I know my girls were never graded on correct answers, and the teachers told me they weren't, when it came to homework. Tests yes, but not homework! I always thought that was so weird! Their spelling and their vocabulary are also not what i would expect from honor roll students, and while I was a very involved parents at the school, I took for granted that their grades meant they knew what they needed to. I have come to learn that that is NOT true at all! Nimue, I have many teacher friends who left teaching for those same reasons. Unfortunately they were some of the best and I hated to see them go. :(
    momof030404

Comment by momof030404 (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• I'm glad that more kids are graduating. But what are the numbers behind the percentages? For instance, if 50 out of 100 kids graduate, that is 50%. But if 50 out of 75 graduate, that is 66%. Still 50 kids graduating, but the percentage changes quite a bit. Is there a link that would give those numbers? I'm just curious...
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:35 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• omg! I am so sorry! I completely forgot to add the link! Here it is!

http://www.americangraduate.org/grad-nation#findings

momof030404

Comment by momof030404 (original poster) at 11:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• Wow! I guess I hadn't thought the numbers were still so low.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:14 PM on Feb. 26, 2013