Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How can you move while you are on PA???

I don't mean move from one house/apt to another in the same town. I mean from one county to another, and still get PA in the new one. I ran into a niece of dh's the other day, and I know that she was on PA where she used to live, and she told me that she has moved to the town that I live in. She lives in one of the section 8 complexes. I don't understand how you can move to a whole other county and get on their system (actually, never get off of it) while there are people there who need the help themselves, but can't get it. I can't help but think that someone who was at the top of a waiting list got bumped back because this one moved to town. How does this happen??

Answer Question

Asked by 29again at 10:29 PM on Feb. 26, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

Level 27 (31,176 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Isn't public assistance a state thing? So she could move across state and it wouldn't matter, she would just have to go to the office in that county, and update her address, etc.. Or I would think she could just call and let them know her new address, etc... I'm just guessing, as I'm not on any PA, thankfully.

    Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:33 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

  • If shes on Section 8 her voucher stays with her and if she is just moving to another County her other public benefits do not stop they just transfer over.

    Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:35 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

  • Yeah, I get it about FS and medical and that stuff. I just can't figure out how you can move from one section 8 in one community to another in a different county. There are only so many apts in the complexes. There are waiting lists. I don't understand how she could do this... This part of PA is not statewide, it is county wide, at least that is what I always thought.

    Comment by 29again (original poster) at 10:50 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

  • She can get on the list in the county she wants to move to. Maybe she did and her turn came up.

    Answer by Nimue930 at 10:59 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

  • Good point, Nimue. I did not think of that.

    Comment by 29again (original poster) at 11:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

  • I understand your question. It is not how can she move to a different county. It is how can she get in to a section 8 housing apartment so quickly. The wait in many places is 2 years to get the possibility of one of the apartments.
    I am wondering if she had applied a good while ago and has just now been accepted.
    Other than that I really do not know unless as you suggested, she knows someone and someone has been bumped down a slot to put her in first, like cutting in line.

    Answer by Dardenella at 11:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

  • It's called portability. Talk to your caseworker.

    Answer by booklover545 at 12:50 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

  • booklover -- so this happens frequently enough that there is a real term for it? I didn't know that. The things one learns on CM! Do these "caseworkers" talk from county to county? Are they the ones who find apts for the moving clients? How do they justify the cost/expense of moviing to another county while the client is on PA? Do they help them move somehow, make things easier for them?

    This still doesn't make sense to me.

    Comment by 29again (original poster) at 1:08 AM on Feb. 28, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.