Do you ever feel like you're at a disadvantage because you're white?

Do you ever feel like people who are of a multi-cultural background have more entitlements to things like education, benefits, assistance, etc while white people get looked over simply because they're white? I'm not trying to be racist here, but I've heard it a lot from family and friends who are white who feel they get the shaft from benefits, financial assistance, etc just because they're white. No other reason than that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Feb. 27, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes. Lol no. But that does bring a good point of if we are so set on equality then why are there scholarships for other races. I have never heard of a Caucasian scholarship.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:31 AM on Feb. 27, 2013

• No
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Feb. 27, 2013

• Nope. I figure that I have had it pretty easy being born white. And I probably wouldn't take any of those entitlements anyway. My dh and I have qualified for PA for the entire 14 years of our marriage and have never taken it.

And honestly, I would probably stop hanging around someone bitching that they didn't get PA because they are white. Seems pretty lame.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Feb. 27, 2013

• no.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:53 AM on Feb. 27, 2013

• I read the post you had just before you or CM deleted it, and your cousin has something else going on there. She told you she didn't qualify for financial aid cause she is white, and simply put, she lied. Financial aid is through the federal govt, why would they care?? I got financial aid, so did my sister, and a few more friends of mine and they are white. Hell they will give financial aid to someone who has been convicted of a crime!! Although it is limited. They also will give assistance to NON US citizens, but they have to have a green card and they will be given the title of “eligible noncitizen” So her saying she did not get it cause she is white is ridiculous.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:04 AM on Feb. 27, 2013

• Race is only one of so many variables, I don't think it's usually just a white versus non-white thing, the way some seem to believe it is.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:06 AM on Feb. 27, 2013

• Financial aid is not based on skin color. Scholarship opportunities, however, are race based. I remember the same thing from 14 years ago when I was looking for financial help in school. White, middle class, female, of average European decent, who got average grades. I qualified for NOTHING. There were PAGES AND PAGES of scholarships where you had to be little more than black/Hispanic/Asian. Or left handed LOL. I remember being very frustrated with that at the time and thinking it very unfair. My middle class parents couldn't pay for my college and due to their income status I qualified for almost no grants. NOW I know I should have been doing to something to set my self apart and beyond but as I didnt look at things like race as making people special one way or another this truly shocked me. Still kinda aggravates me.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:28 AM on Feb. 27, 2013

• I got financial aid. All my kids got financial aid with no problem and we're white. I've never had a problem getting anything due to the color of my skin. Then again I've been out of the working market for a long time (disabled).

Answer by admckenzie at 2:41 AM on Feb. 27, 2013

• I feel that all benefits should be aailable for all people in this country. I do not think that scholarships or grant should be based on race or sex or creed. That is not the way it is. I feel it is being racist in a different way, which, in my opinion is just as bad. I personaly have never felt at a disadvantage because I am classified as white. There are very few absolutely white people and I am not really one of them. I am what is sometimes refered to as other. But there are no advantages to being a mostly white other lol.

Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:48 AM on Feb. 27, 2013

• Nope, but being a childhood cancer survivor, I had something that set me apart from other students, when applying for scholarships. Also, when I first started going to college, my mom was a waitress and full time student herself, so I actually qualified for a pell grant, which is based on income. If all else fails, most everyone qualifies for student loans.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:41 AM on Feb. 27, 2013