Can you hear trains from your house?

I love the sound of trains.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 1:49 AM on Feb. 27, 2013 in Home & Garden

• haha i just heard another one...now im gonna think about you every time i hear one..."i wonder if staci is hearing a train now too?"
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:13 AM on Feb. 27, 2013

• why yes...i just heard a train haha. they are close enough that i can hear them inside my house, but far enough away that they dont wake me up. its perfect!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:52 AM on Feb. 27, 2013

• Yes, but only late at night in the summer and only then because we have out windows open. The train tracks are pretty far away, at least a mile and there no free areas, we are in the city and all of the buildings cushion the noise. What we hear is just the cars being joined together. It sounds like they are crashing.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:53 AM on Feb. 27, 2013

• When it is really quiet but I used to live next to RR tracks so I heard them a lot when I was a younger
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:21 AM on Feb. 27, 2013

• I have been able to hear trains every place I've lived in my adult life until we moved to Las Vegas, and I kind of miss it. A few times this winter I have heard the faint sound of trains, which is really weird because they are a really long way away and we shouldn't be able to hear them from here.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:26 AM on Feb. 27, 2013

• No, thank goodness. The nearest tracks are about 7 miles away.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 11:12 AM on Feb. 27, 2013

• Just the whistles, mostly at night. I love the sound of a train whistle. Sort of lonely but also free, makes me want to take off somewhere. I hadv a friend who used to live close enough to the train tracks you could throw a baseball over them--now that was seriously loud! It would shake the whole house, make the dishes rattle on the table, sometimes even knock pictures off the wall. I was glad when she moved.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:58 AM on Feb. 27, 2013

• Yes I do. I grew up in a house where i could hear the trains, so I find it comforting to hear them in the house I live in now
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 1:58 AM on Feb. 27, 2013

• Oh yes. The tracks are about half a block away.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:33 AM on Feb. 27, 2013

• I can from my youngest dd's house but I can only hear boats at my house, no trains.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:37 AM on Feb. 27, 2013