U.S. dairy industry petitions FDA to approve aspartame as hidden additive

While this is not an unbiased source by any means, it contains important information for those who, like me, avoid artificial sweeteners for health reasons. There's a link for contacting the FDA directly, which I'm about to do.

... The International Dairy Foods Association (IDFA) and the National Milk Producers Federation (NMPF) have filed a petition with the FDA asking the FDA to alter the definition of “milk” to secretly include chemical sweeteners such as aspartame and sucralose.

Importantly, none of these additives need to be listed on the label. They will simply be swept under the definition of “milk,” so that when a company lists “milk” on the label, it automatically includes aspartame or sucralose. And if you’re trying to avoid aspartame, you’ll have no way of doing so because it won’t be listed on the label.

This isn’t only for milk, either: It’s also for yogurt, cream, sour cream, eggnog, whipping cream and a total of 17 products, all of which are listed in the petition at FDA.gov.

As the petition states:

IDFA and NMPF request their proposed amendments to the milk standard of identity to allow optional characterizing flavoring ingredients used in milk (e.g., chocolate flavoring added to milk) to be sweetened with any safe and suitable sweetener — including non-nutritive sweeteners such as aspartame.

This is all being done to “save the children,” we’re told, because the use of aspartame in milk products would reduce calories.

Milk industry specifically asks to HIDE aspartame from consumers

Astonishingly, the dairy industry is engaged in extreme doublespeak logic and actually arguing that aspartame should be hidden from consumers by not listing it on the label. Here’s what the petition says:

IDFA and NMPF argue that nutrient content claims such as “reduced calorie” are not attractive to children, and maintain that consumers can more easily identify the overall nutritional value of milk products that are flavored with non-nutritive sweeteners if the labels do not include such claims. Further, the petitioners assert that consumers do not recognize milk — including flavored milk — as necessarily containing sugar. Accordingly, the petitioners state that milk flavored with non-nutritive sweeteners should be labeled as milk without further claims so that consumers can “more easily identify its overall nutritional value.”

In other words, hiding aspartame from consumers by not including it on the label actually helps consumers, according to the IDFA and NMPF!

Yep, consumers are best served by keeping them ignorant. If this logic smacks of the same kind of twisted deception practiced by Monsanto, that’s because it’s identical: the less consumers know, the more they are helped, according to industry. And it’s for the children, too, because children are also best served by keeping them poisoned with aspartame.

Consumers have always been kept in the dark about pink slime, meat glue, rBGH and GMOs in their food. And now, if the IDFA gets its way, you’ll be able to drink hormone-contaminated milk from an antibiotics-inundated cow fed genetically modified crops and producing milk containing hidden aspartame. And you won’t have the right to know about any of this!

The FDA confirms this “secret” status of aspartame, stating, “If the standard of identity for milk is amended as requested by petitioners, milk manufacturers could use non-nutritive sweeteners in flavored milk without a nutrient content claim in its labeling.”

FDA requests comments

The FDA is requesting comments on this petition. You have until May 21st, 2013 to submit your comments. Click here for instructions.

This is a clue to stop drinking processed milk and milk products altogether

There’s a bigger story here than just the industry hoping to get FDA approval to secretly put aspartame in milk products while not listing aspartame on the label.

The bigger question is this: If an industry is pushing to hide aspartame in its products, what else is it already hiding?

...

http://www.infowars.com/u-s-dairy-industry-petitions-fda-to-approve-aspartame-as-hidden-unlabeled-additive-in-milk-yogurt-eggnog-and-cream/

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 2:49 AM on Feb. 27, 2013 in Health

• We don't drink milk here, but this still makes my blood boil.

School that we briefly had the kids in required that the kids finish their milk at lunch before they were allowed to leave the table... Yeah ... No thanks.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 8:25 AM on Feb. 27, 2013

• I hope the FDA doesn't approve it. I avoid aspartame. However we need to eat, if we thought about all the stuff in our food from hormones to arsenic in our rice it doesn't leave us with very much we can actually eat.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:30 AM on Feb. 27, 2013

• I really hope that the FDA does not approve this!
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:51 AM on Feb. 27, 2013

• I think I will have finally gathered the need to not buy milk. In the grand scheme of things, do we truly need it to survive or does the dairy industry have that much influence over us that we are convinced we are all going to be suffering from rickets if we don't drink milk?
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:24 AM on Feb. 27, 2013

• FFA that's exactly how it was when I was a child and I was lactose and tolerate, my parents didn't believe me that milk made me sick and my stomach hurt so they never took me to the doctor. My friends started to switch their empty milk for mine when no teacher was looking.
    I really hope they don't approve of this.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 8:56 AM on Feb. 27, 2013

• Same here Lostie except my 1st through 3rd grade self was required to drink during 'milk break' and I never did. My 2nd grade teacher wasn't very understanding or sympathetic of my plight and always gave me an E (Failing) grade every day because I refused my milk... tl;dr almost didn't make it through 2nd grade because milk.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 9:26 AM on Feb. 27, 2013

• Same with me, Lost--my parents didn't believe me, either. I don't drink milk now, but I still use it to cook with, and I eat yogurt. Very little cheese or sour cream, too much gives me trouble.

I guess what gets me about this is the dishonesty of it. Oh, consumers don't need to know ...

I encourage anybody who doesn't like it to give voice to those concerns by contacting the FDA. That's the only way anything will change, if that will even help, which is questionable because there's a lot of money behind the dairy industry.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 12:08 PM on Feb. 27, 2013