How accurate is the ultrasound tech?

2 weeks ago we had our ultrasound (cause we had no idea how far along we were)
and the tech said it looked like girl parts.
how accurate is that at 18 weeks?
I know with my son they couldn't tell at 20, and I didn't find out til 30 weeks that I was having a boy, and that ultrasound was very obvious (cause it was 30 weeks)
So what all do you think?

tinka_pixie

Asked by tinka_pixie at 7:36 AM on Feb. 27, 2013 in Pregnancy

• I think the absolute earliest they've been able to tell is 14 weeks, but that angle has to be pretty indisputable.

16 weeks is the norm, 18 weeks you're pretty safe. It really depends on the angle and the experience of the tech.

Coming from experience though.... do NOT go out and paint a nursery pink and buy little princess outfits until that baby comes out because you NEVER EVER KNOW.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 8:34 AM on Feb. 27, 2013

• At 18 weeks pretty accurate assuming they got a good angle and the tech knows what they are doing. I'd pick out a girl's name, but have a boy name on the back burner. any clothing you buy now should be gender neutral or leave the tags on so you can return if necessary
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:44 AM on Feb. 27, 2013

• Don't paint the nursery pink. Even at twenty weeks, our tech was only ninety percent sure. He was right, but it's all just a more or less educated guess unless you get a really good angle on a really good day.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:29 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• Not very reliable. Don't count on anything unless it is DNA testing.

Go to www.birthclassonline.com and download your free healthy birth booklet-6 steps to a safer birth
    Guruliza

Answer by Guruliza at 7:19 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• You might also want to read this article about ultrasound:: http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/ultrasoundrodgers.asp
    Guruliza

Answer by Guruliza at 7:20 PM on Mar. 15, 2013