What is the going rate to hire a nanny to take care of my newborn while I am working?

Jenntoe

Asked by Jenntoe at 5:13 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• near sacramento, where we live, my daughters both nanny. they earn 13-15 $ per hour, with a certain number of hours guaranteed each week (mom gets home early, and if nanny doesn't get paid it's not fair for her & does not work for the nanny). i'm a preschool teacher. i only earn $11 an hour, with a full education. infant care in a preschool is $220 a week, with extended hours, but it's a 1:4 ratio. make sure your nanny is cpr certified, trained in first aid, and you have the nanny get a certificate of health from her dr. education in early childhood education is absolutely beneficial, as is the infant care class from the local college. can you and your spouse stagger schedules so a parent is home to raise your baby? that's really the best... congratulations, and good luck!
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 5:19 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Depends on a lot of things. The area you live in, whether the nanny will be live in or live out, how hours you would need the nanny, would she be on call, how many kids, what other things she would have to do besides watch the kids such as light housekeeping, and the overall experience of the nanny (degree, previous nanny experience, etc). For a live in Nanny in Atlanta, GA the going rate is about $400 a week plus room and board. I live about an hour and a half from Atlanta and I was only paid $6 an hour as a live out nanny but my SIL use to be a live out nanny closer to Atlanta and was paid about $10 an hour with a guaranteed 35 hour work week.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:23 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• If a nanny costs 13-15.00 an hour.I really pray you make much more than that to make it worth having to leave your baby.Fiquire out your nanny cost lunch gas clothing expenses.Then subtract from your pay to see how you come out.If you find it too low for the hours and sacrafice from being from baby you may consider sahm? I do not mean to offend just want you to weigh your options.
    Anonymous

• Wowie. My son (8 months) doesn't have a nanny but he goes to daycare and I pay 20$ a day. THey're really flexible which is awesome because I have rotating shifts..they're really cool about it. I drop him off when I need to and on days I'm home, he stays home. No weekly minimums no extra fees...and they take excellent care of him!
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 10:46 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Around here a live IN nanny starts at about $350 a month, plus a room, food and board. That's the cheapest way to go...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:37 AM on Feb. 16, 2009