Is complaining worth the effort? Apt trash pick up

Recently the apartment management thought it would be a good idea to have trash picked up from inside of the apt bldgs vs us taking the trash to the dumpster. So they hired this company to place special black trash cans outside of our doors and Sun to Thurs this company is suppose to come by between 8 and 10pm to collect the trash. The first month or so was fine but then there were days when it wasn't getting picked up and we'd end up taking it to the dumpster ourselves in the morning on our way out. I'd call and let the office know that it was picked up and they say that they're going to send the company an email about it. But it's been months and still at least once or twice a week no collection. So this morning I asked again is is worth me telling you (the rental office) that they're still not picking up the trash on a regular basis. I was told that I'm the only one in the bldg that seems to have a problem with trash collection. Supposedly they've spoken to several people in our bldg and no one else has complained. Yet I've seen 2 trash bags outside of the apt below us on several occasions. I was then told to take a picture of the trash and email it to them when trash is picked up. Needless to say I left shaking my head a the idea of taking a picture of the trash. I even asked if instead of closing the trash can should we just leave it open so the person can see there's a bag there. I know we take it out anyway on our own but if they're paying for a service and not getting it, should I really care as long as I continue to pay my rent on time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Feb. 27, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Should you really care? No not really, I mean you're not the one paying for services. Does the office care? I'm sure they appreciate your concern however they need documentation to ensure that the trash is not getting picked up and since you're the one that they have heard reports from.....looks like you volunteered. I'd also get a copy of the schedule on when Trash is supposed to be picked up, (I.E. is it a daily thing where the company is supposed to come through and take the trash out, or every other day, etc.) It could be that you are putting your trash out on days when there is no pick-up scheduled so I'd double check to be sure. In either case is it that big of a deal? I'd say NO but it is good to make the office aware of problems early on so they can expedite the process of resolving issues.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:18 AM on Feb. 27, 2013

• If a company is being paid to come daily Sun - Thurs and pick up all the trash I'd want it done. Personally I wouldn't like the idea that my trash is there for anyone to go thru if they want. Identiy theft is on the rise. Personally I'd tell them to remove the container and keep taking my own trash out to the dumpster. Trash can tell a lot about what's going on in an apartment. It tells people you just got a new flat screen TV, just had a new baby, had a party Friday night, that you haven't been around much (less trash), etc. It's a lot of free information that anyone could observe very easily.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:47 AM on Feb. 27, 2013

• its only once or twice, big freaking deal. I use to live at the front of an apt complex and the only trash dumpster was in the way back. I walked my ass over there every time I needed to throw something away. It's not going to hurt you to make a trip once or twice a week.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:23 AM on Feb. 27, 2013

• I would think the office would want to know they're paying for shoddy service. If they don't seem to care, I guess I'd just take my own trash out.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:04 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• @Lostsoul I stated that they're to come everyday from Sun - Thurs. If you lived in a house and paid for me to cut your grass and I came once maybe twice a month is that okay??

I know that the money used comes from the rent I'm paying. So basically I'm also paying for the poor service. Just like no one else used to call when kids would set off the emergency alarms. The thing would sound for over 20 minutes and I'd finally give in and call the office to which they acted like they had no idea that this was going on. I know I can't be the only one having problems here. I was been taking trash out b4 this door to door service came and even after I'm still taking my own trash out. So,,,, I guess it shouldn't bother me. Thanks
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:25 PM on Feb. 27, 2013