My dad has been in and out of my life for the past 10 years, I am always the 1 who reaches out and contacts him. Should I keep doing that or just give up on him?

chicanomama

Asked by chicanomama at 5:28 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• FOLLOW YOUR HEART, IF YOU FEEL THE NEED TO CONTACT HIM DO SO, I WOULD SAY NEVER GIVE UP ON FAMILY NO MATTER HOW HARD THE SITUATION.

Answer by older at 5:32 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Same thing with my husbands father. He finally said screw him when he bailed on our wedding. He doesn't even know we're having another baby. I can tell it still hurts my husband after all this time but it hurts less I guess, pretending not to care. You know how men are.

I would say if it's causing you more of a strain to keep contact with him than to cut ties then I'd cut ties. If you think it's still worth the effort then go for it.

Good luck whatever you do :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 5:48 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I would continue even if it's only occasional contact. Parents aren't around for ever. I get little response from my mother but keep in touch just because...
    Anonymous

• I am in the same situation with my DAD. He hardly ever calls me. When I say hardly ever, I mean once every 10 years. So I just call him when I want. Usually once a year, So I say, call him when you want to. But don't feel obligated to call him though.

Answer by louise2 at 5:57 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Sounds just like my dad, he is such a jerk, I have called him all the time, on holidays, when my son was born, even on my birthday just to see if he remembered (but he never does), I even sent him a birth annoucement when my son was born and wrote him a note inside that said he should call me sometime but does he NO he NEVER calls, and to make things worse everytime I call him he is drunk and starts crying about how bad of a dad he is and blah blah blah, and honestly I just dont care anymore I give up, he obviously doesn't care enough to call me so why should I call him, shoot have only ever seen the man three times my whole life, so I say if you want to call him but dont feel like you have to, I no longer call mine because well I ma just sick of being the only one trying to have a relationship, IMO relationships of any kind are two sided not one
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 6:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2009