• In the Spotlight:

My 3 year old daughter was diagnosed with reflux and we have been on 4 different types of medicine and not much is helping. I was wondering if anyone had success with changing diets to help with reflux. Thanks

She vomits in her mouth about 6-10 times per day even with the medicine. She has just started really eating after starting this last medicine. We have not done an upper GI because of the radiation.

kwillingham

Asked by kwillingham at 6:02 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My daughter has had acid reflux since she was 1 month old. She is now 3 years old. She would vomit forcefully 10-15 times a day, and most of the time it would be blood. My daughter is on 15 mg. of prevacid 2 times daily. Unless your doctor told you that she needs to be on a special diet, then it isn't really necassary. Just give the medication time to allow itself to work. Has she had an endoscopy done? Those don't have radiation in them, its just a tiny camera that they look inside of the esphagus and stomach. My daughter has been having those done since she was a baby, and her acid reflux has now turned into esphagitis... Good Luck!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 6:05 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Medication treats symptoms not underlying causes.

I would get a consultation with Doug Graham www.foodnsport.com best thing you could do.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:56 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• my youngest has GERD! My doctor was old school and didn't believe that changing formulas was an acceptable thing. My 2 month old was on adult does Zantec for her problem and then switched to adult preacid at 6 months old when zantec stopped working. She still is small for her age cause we tried so hard to get her to eat and not projectile vomit it with every meal. We took to raising the head of her crib mattress and keeping her upright for at least 30 minutes after she ate. Plus not letting her get to the point she was crying fo rher food to stop her belly from filling with air. Luckily after 12 months and going on solids has helped her. Stopped taking meds at a year. I agree with ali above. If she's three and meds aren't helping she may need other stronger methods. Yes we were told surgery may be needed if nothing else works. I'd get a GI done and see if it answers any questions. I know we wee told spicy, acidic foods and
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:31 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• cont.

chocolate were triggers to avoid. And at almost three she rarely gets any of them. I really wish you the best in getting your answers and hopefully a treatment that works. Good luck.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:34 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• My GERD which I have had since my earliest memories has almost completely cleared up since I started eating a gluten/soy/corn-free diet.As well has my IBS- cleared up I mean!LOLUsually IBS isn't a laughing matter- neither is GERD- my father died of esophagael cancer-one of my earliest memories is of him popping antacids in his mouth followed by peppermint Lifesavers or Certs for the bad breath the GERD gave him.IMO, upper respiratory issues-postnasal drip-can also be a contributory factor in many cases of GERD.Everyone I love has it, & after it killing my father- I respect it.DIET IS HUGE IN GERD- dairy,wheat,citrus/tomatoes/strawberries,processed sugars, grease & hydrogenated oils,alcohol,smoke-woodstove,cigarette/cigar/pipe,meat-for some people it can be hard to digest.An overly full stomach can easily happen if child has never eaten properly-LITTLE bits at a time & no fluids with meal-sips of water ok if needed.Try vinegar.
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 5:04 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• This can often be caused by a gluten sensitivity or celiac disease. Check out http://www.thefooddoc.com/

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:56 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• my son suffered from it too

my kids were always sick - this year they are less sick. I give them 1 oz of bb - a whole food liquid organic supplement. Endorced by over 6000 doctors - I haven't had to give them breathing treatments in 9 + months and my middle son suffered from chronic diahrea since he was 1 1/2 and he has gained 2 lbs in 3 mon. and is 95% better.

my web-site www.Healthy4body.com I give them 1 oz a day. there is also a live doctors call every thursday night - I can give you that information as well just pm me.

I also had 15 years of abnormal paps - I just got a normal one. I have been taking 4 oz for 11 mo.

Sandy
    nma928

Answer by nma928 at 12:56 AM on Feb. 21, 2009