Why won't she potty train?!

My daughter is currently 3 years old (4 in July) I have desperately been trying to potty train her for months now. I have tried the sticker/reward system (which worked for my oldest daughter) and try to make it fun and exciting for her. She wants nothing to do with it. I recently took pulls ups away and refuse to put them on her, even at night. It doesn't even phase her. I am lost and have no idea what to do next...I set a timer for every 15 mins and she STILL has "accidents". Any advice is welcome. Please help!

amber1330

Asked by amber1330 at 12:08 PM on Feb. 27, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I wonder if you might have been pushing her too hard. Mine was three and a half, but I hadn't pushed the issue at all. When she was ready, it took ten days, and then there were no accidents at night even. Give it a break for a month or two, go back to diapers or pull-ups, and then try again. Unless she has to be trained for preschool or something, what will a little more time hurt? She may decide she's ready on her own when other girls her age are out of diapers and she isn't, and if she's on bard with the training, it will definitely be a lot easier. She may be using "accidents as a way to assert control in her little world.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:13 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• kids learn when they are ready not the parents. My DD was potty trained within days after she turned 2 and then my DS was a pain in the butt to train and I gave up for a few months and he learned on his own after his 3rd. You can't push a child to do this.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:10 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• Having the same issues w/ my ds... We tried stickers, 15 min, thing which is a huge pain because my other one is always getting into things while I"m w/ ds, someone mentioned a quarter reward system on here, & we tried it. Got him a bank so he could see his money pile up, & told him 1 quarter for pee & 2 for poo. And we'd take a quarter away & put it in mommy's bank everytime he goes in his pants... no such luck... worked a few times, but now the bank is empty.... grrr... He's already 4 & starts school next yr & I'm at my wits end. So today I took a new aproach. He's got a Dsi & likes to play video games, so now he has to earn his time on those. If he pees he gets 15 mins & poo is 30 mins. He's gone in the pot twice but then pooped in his pants... ugh ... key is they will go when ready I guess... still maddening though
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 12:26 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• Thank you ladies. She is more than capable to do this, but maybe she just isn't ready yet. I think a break would be good for her as well as for me! I feel like my days have consisted of laundry, scrubbing floor, scrubbing panties, and rushing her to the potty every 15 mins. It has been quite stressful and with 2 other little ones it has been too much. Thank you again...pull ups it is :)
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 12:27 PM on Feb. 27, 2013