• In the Spotlight:

On Bed Rest and doctor is talking about induction..I'm nervous..have questions.

I have a mild case of toxemia and have been in the hospital for 5 days. Got out today and now the dr has be on home bed rest and is saying she will probably induce at 37/38 wks. I have heard horror stories about inductions. I heard they are more painful and can start an unfavorable chain of events. I also wanted to do natural and not have any meds but now if I am being induced I am afraid the pain will get so bad I might have to have the epi due to my bp. Any advice on any of this is welcome. I just really wanted her to come when she was ready and to let God say when that was not a doctor. But I trust my doctor and know she will do whats best for both of us, I am just so nervous about the WHOLE THING. And how am I going to get thru 2-3 more weeks of bed rest?????

HayleyGM

Asked by HayleyGM at 6:07 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had problems happen all the sudden and had to be induced early. I was so scared about it but it really wasn't that painful. I had really great drs and my husbands support through the whole labor. Just try to relax.
    Anonymous

• hm... I was induced and had an epi and loved it both times; however if your wish is to go natural I would talk with your doctor and let her know you really want to go natural.
    My only fear would be if your doc seriously thinks you need ot be induced for the health of your and the baby that if you wait too long you might need a c section. I don't know really, as I am not a doc.
    I would do everything in your power to go natural- but if you cannot I think the epi is better than many other drugs because it leaves momma and baby alert and ready for life... some iv drugs will make you both groggy.
    Pitocin induced contractions are very hard on your body... I went through about 15 minutes before I couldn't take it and asked for the epi. once the epi was in I could feel the sensations but not the pain.

Either way- no one way is always right or best- what you should do is what is best for your in your situation.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 6:14 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I had to be induced because of my pre-eclampsia. My labor was very painful, but thats what we expect anyhow as soon to be moms right? Every women is different.. I had to have the epidural because of my bp, and I wasn't allowed to have any visitors in my room, I had a catheter in place in case if I started seizing/coma, I had to have all of the lights off besides one, and I wasn't allowed to watch t.v. I know exactly how you feel, I was so afraid, just like you I wanted to do everything natural. But don't let all of the horror stories scare the crap out of you. You will be fine, and so will your baby. Don't be ashamed if you can't do everything natural. Be thankful that the doctors can help you and your baby! Good Luck! Everything will be ok! :0)
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 6:17 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• My friends sister got induced last week and was only in labour for 3 hours and said it wasn't as bad as what people said. So I guess every girl is different I guess it just depends on your own personal pain level. I hope you get to have the birth you want. But if you dont at least at the end of the day you will be safe and so will your baby. And a epi is really good I had one with my 1st and I couldnt feel anything apart from the sensations no pain!! Goodluck hun
    Mumma07

Answer by Mumma07 at 6:22 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• My first two were inductions. Yes, I had an epidural with them.

My third, I went into labor on my own at 36 weeks...I'd rather have had an induction.

But again...I had an epidural.

I have absolutely NO tolerance for pain, though...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:39 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I was in the exact same situation. I was induced at 36 weeks after a week in the hospital. My labor went great. They started pitocin (sp?) around 8:00 I started having contractions but I couldn't really feel them. When the doctor broke my water around 11 I could feel the contractions but they were manageable. Around 5 I asked for an epidural thinking I still had hours of labor to go. They did the epi, but it didn't work. The nurse checked me before she called to have the epi redone and discovered I was crowning. I had gone from 4 to 10 cm in the time it took to do the epidural. I pushed through 2 contractions and he was born. It was a very easy labor. So induction isn't always so bad.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:03 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I've been induced 3 times and yeah it sucked, but labor hurts either way. If you trust your doctors then go with what they say. I saw my niece have a grand mall seizure because of her blood pressure and trust me, you'd rather have the induction with or without epidural. Just because you are induced does not mean you have to take pain meds or the epidural. My brothers girlfriend was induced and did it without. She asked for it but they took a really long time to get it so it never happened.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 7:09 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• With pregnancy, and everything, we must constantly weigh the risks. Inducing for a less serious condition (you said "mild") adds big risks, especially so early on. Have you been given options to help reduce/eliminate your toxemia? Because you are working with a surgeon/high-risk doctor so interventions are more likely. This doctor will see things from a different point of view. If you want the natural birth you're hoping for, you'll likely have to work on this outside of her care.

I have some info to share, but it's too long. I'll message it to you.
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:04 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• get a laptop! LOL and find shows you like...I like The Doctors it comes on where i live at 10am on CBS it is a great show! 4 doctors who talk about any and everything! also, they do know what is best just go with them on this. and try to take what everyone says with a grain of salt. Everyone is different. My one sister was induced and said it was the worst pain she had ever been in, and another said it felt no different then when she had her oldest natural! Also, i will tell you I went 12 hours with no drugs and if i have another one i will get them ASAP! i was so much better afterwards. but again everyone is diff. i didnt want them either thats why i held out. but i also had a bitch for a nurse who wouldnt let me get comfy she wanted me to do it her way. good luck though. you'll do great either way, b/c as soon as you see her it will be like nothing exists but her!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 12:20 AM on Feb. 16, 2009