How do you reward your kids for good grades in school?

mfagnan

Asked by mfagnan at 2:29 PM on Feb. 27, 2013 in General Parenting

• I ro we make the dinner of their chice. Sometimes we will go out for the dinner of their choice. This can backfire because one year my DD decided she wanted to go to a greek resteraunt lol nearly brok the bank but it was an experience to be remembered.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:38 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• It never occurred to me that I should have rewarded our children for good grades in school. It was always just understood that they were expected to do their best, whatever their best was--just like it was our responsibility to provide for them the best we were able. The youngest of them is now 35 years old and they are all highly successful adults, which I think proves the point that success is its own reward.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:40 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• i don't reward them, I expect it, because they are able to get good grades, I might reward a good grade in a subject they have been having a hard time in, but not any big hoorah over it.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 2:56 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• We don't reward other than verbally. They make straight As and know I am proud of them, but I expect good grades. They are more than capable of doing the work.

Answer by missanc at 3:00 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• Well as a child I was not rewarded for grades. And their is not a thing wrong with that. I use to never reward my kids for good grades until I went through a divorce over 5yrs ago. I noticed their grades started dropping for obvious reasons. (divorce) And so Me and my current husband started paying them for their grades. A=$3, B=$2, C=$1, D=$0, and for every F a dollar got taken away. And we also put them in school activities and that has also seemed to help with their grades.
    mfagnan

Comment by mfagnan (original poster) at 3:06 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• I say "Good job!"...
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 3:09 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• My stepdaughter was pretty self-motivated, so her parents didn't need to reward her much. My stepson usually gets a day out, something like a trip to a flight simulation place that he and his dad will go on during Spring Break if he keeps up the good work.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:19 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• Mine do very well in school except my youngest. She struggles so when she does really well maybe out for ice cream or something simple like that. But my other two have always done well so its more opposite when they have gotten behind then they are in trouble because its usually they not turning in the work and thats just being lazy but that does not happen often because they have lost privelages for being lazy with school work
    sally1973

Answer by sally1973 at 5:24 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• I don't. I expect him to do well in school, because I know he can. He gets a good job and I tell him how proud of him I am, but that is it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:07 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• I'm another one who doesn't reward grades. I see school performance as a natural outgrowth of a child's well-being, as evidence of things like their motivation, interest, curiosity, engagement. And if there were problems with grades/school performance, I would not turn to incentives to try to address the problem, but would look to those underlying issues to see what needs attention. Correct those underlying issues, and you resolve the "symptom" or signal of the grades/lagging performance.

Preserving & protecting intrinsic motivation from early childhood onward is really important to me. I don't want my kids extrinsically motivated, or doing things in order to get a reward (or to avoid punishment.) So I have been mindful to avoid a behavioral focus, in general, while parenting.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 12:41 PM on Feb. 28, 2013