How many moms here has a husband that is a truck driver and how do you cope with that?

mfagnan

Asked by mfagnan at 3:29 PM on Feb. 27, 2013 in Relationships

• Do you mean the time away from his wife?

Answer by louise2 at 3:32 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• yes
    mfagnan

Comment by mfagnan (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• My ex was a truck driver. Before I started being glad he was gone, I would just try to find ways to keep myself busy. It usually wasn't all that hard. I have 2 kids, so they kept me pretty busy. I'd read, come on here, watch movies, write, go out with friends (until he got so controlling I couldn't anymore, but that's another story), and just follow my own interests while he was away. He'd come home for a few days, we'd spend that time together, and once he was on the road again, I'd just go right back to following my own interests again.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:51 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• You have a vibrator, he has a pocket pussy, and you facetime, dirty text, and have phone sex.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:02 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• Well my DH was in the Army for 20 years. Was gone a lot. Sometimes a year or so. You just learn to deal with things on your own. As is everything. It is good if you don't mind being alone to. It does not bother me for him to be away for a while. I have always been ok with being alone.

Answer by louise2 at 4:27 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• My ex was a flight attendant so he was gone sometimes up to 12 days in the beginning. Sex wasn't the problem but I did miss the intimacy when he was away. But I got to where I liked the freedom of him being gone. My days were much easier to schedule when it was just me and the kids. But he was an uptight guy so I liked the relaxation when he was gone.
    Find a hobby. I read a lot, did crosstitch, played video games. And I relied heavily on my friends for venting!

Answer by missanc at 4:41 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• My dad was a trucker and I think my mom just got used to it, but he drank alot and could be real jerk so maybe she liked he was gone. I would say you just have to learn to accept his job and figure out if this is something you can live with. I was a marine wife and I hated it, luckily my husband got out, but for me I think I would have ended up leaving because I couldnt handle him being gone and want my kids father to be around
    sally1973

Answer by sally1973 at 4:44 PM on Feb. 27, 2013