Ear Rings

Since getting her ears pierced last summer, DD has had an ear ring fall out a couple of times at school. Each time, the teacher puts the ear ring (back included) in a ziploc bag and sends it home with her.

I think it's great that she takes such care in making sure it gets back home, but why in the world would she just not either let DD try to put it back in (says teacher won't let her) or just not put it back in DD's ear herself?

It's not like the hole isn't already healed up. I don't see much difference in this as I would any other piece of jewelry...like a necklace (which DD tells me teacher has helped kids get back on before).

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 4:47 PM on Feb. 27, 2013 in

• Probably because of the possibility of infection.
    She has no way to properly clean it and so would not want to be held liable for it going back in her ear.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:59 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• why not ask her if your DD can try to put it back in. I can see why teachers shouldn't put it back in.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:49 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• Its probably the whole liability thing. I f ear ended up infected then they think you are gonna say teacher put dirty earing in your childs ear and now its infected. The schools are getting very crazy about stuff now days.
    sally1973

Answer by sally1973 at 5:00 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• If the teacher accidently hurt the child the parents can easily sue. Its like a better safe then sorry situation. With every one being sue happy and all.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:55 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• Liability, most likely. People sue for all sorts of stupid things and then we end up with policies like these.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:00 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• Possibility of infection obviously. Why not get her the earrings that have a screw on back? They don't easily fall out.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:09 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• B/C the earring should be washed before putting it back in. And so she won't lose it again.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:11 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• If it falls on the ground or floor it needs to be sterilized before putting it back in.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 5:56 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• I can ask her, but I just thought I'd come here and ask if anyone here knew why teacher either didn't put them in herself or allow DD to try to put them in herself.
    AllAboutKeeley

Comment by AllAboutKeeley (original poster) at 4:53 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• Why not get her the earrings that have a screw on back?

I have looked into that. They cost way too much for what I am willing to spend on my 7yo's ear rings.
    AllAboutKeeley

Comment by AllAboutKeeley (original poster) at 5:14 PM on Feb. 27, 2013