Uh oh! What do I tell her?

I don't know where she heard it--she says she doesn't remember--but my preschooler asked me what "fuckin'" means just now. I told her it wasn't a nice word and it wasn't for little girls to say, but she still wants to know what it means. I'm rather at a loss. We've never been particularly prudish about body parts, but she doesn't know what sex is, and I don't think she's ready to know.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 6:57 PM on Feb. 27, 2013 in General Parenting

• Yeah, I specifically would explain that there's a connotation of insult when people apply that word to something....After all, when people say fuckin' this or that, they aren't referencing fucking as much as they are putting an insult in front of "this" or "that," and expressing frustration or overwhelm. Stupid car, darned car. Annoying problem, fuckin porch step.... Explain that people use "insults" when they feel overwhelmed or trapped by a situation that is causing problems & they're angry about it. And some of the words that get used that way are kind of shocking or "swear words," so you don't use them. That pretty much covers it.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 7:42 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• I would just tell her that some people say it out of anger, like darn or dang (or substitute whatever you say around the house). I would also say that it's a very bad word to use and that people get in big trouble for using it. I don't think I would go into the sexual connotation of the word.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:59 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• I totally agree with QuinnMae.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:01 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• I agree with QM. There's no reason at all to go into the sexual definition of the word.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:07 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• yeah,just say it's a naughty word.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:02 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• I would just tell her it is a bad word and leave it al that. Or, ask her what she heard it meant.

Answer by louise2 at 7:02 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• Tell her it is a not very nice way to describe a private thing.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:51 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• Well, good. I didn't. I really liked QM's idea of the "mad" word, and she seemed to be satisfied with that.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 7:14 PM on Feb. 27, 2013