What in the hell can I do now?? Am I gonna have to put my kitty down??

My cat may have broken his rear leg, or possibly a severe sprain. I cannot afford to go to a vet. My vet I normally go to will charge me $81 for the office call and x-ray, and thats it. They do not deal with broken limbs. I have been with this vet for 8 yrs! My cat isn't even a year old yet!!!!! He is limping severely, he absolutely will not put weight on his paw. He has been doing this for a few days and my time is running out. If I cannot get this fixed, he will permanently be limping on that leg cause the break wasn't healed properly. I ma not 100% positive he broke his leg, but the signs say he does. I watch him when he walks and I see the 'thigh' bone sticking out a bit, and he meows when I touch his leg or paw real lightly so I know its hurting him. I have called just about every organization I can find., Nobody will help me. If my cat was a dog, oh sure there are plenty of folks that will give me a hand. Most will not even consider me making payments or letting me 'work it off". Is there anything I can do?????

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:57 PM on Feb. 27, 2013 in Pets

• Wow, I'm sorry! What about the Humane Society? I'm trying to think, twenty years or so ago I had a friend whose young dog broke his hip, and her vet said there was some kind of a fund for people with low incomes to borrow money from for their pets. I have no idea what the name of it was, or even if it's in every state, but could you cal some vets and ask about tht specifically?

*Big hugs!*
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:01 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• here

here

here

i typed into google: michigan, low income emergency pet medical care

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:07 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• Do you have any medical tape and how queasy do you and your hubby get?
    If you have something a little stiff like the plastic from a jug. Clean it really well and cut the strips about the length of his leg from knee to ankle and then decrease that legth by an inch to two inches. You do not want it to inter fere with knee movement or ankle movement. You also need to understand it may not work, the cat may go into shock or he may lose the leg entirely, because you are not a vet (neither am I.
    If you still want me to tell you, just respond on here.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:08 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• Never mind consider those options first. They are safer and would guarentee a better rate of success.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:10 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• Feralxat...Thank you SO MUCH!!!!! When i came back for the responses, I saw your links and I have been filling out apps at a few of them hoping one of them can help me. Thank you so much!!!!!

thank you

Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 2:12 AM on Feb. 28, 2013

• Dardenella...I am not queasy, but you are right in me not being a vet. I cannot risk that unless I have to, and that will be my absolute last resort. But thank you:)

Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 2:15 AM on Feb. 28, 2013

• Let me know and I will walk you through it.

But I sure as heck hope you can get some help getting his poor leg attended to. Either way he is NOT going to like you for a little while.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:45 AM on Feb. 28, 2013

• I rescued him when he was a feral kitten. It took me a long 4 months to gain his trust enough for me to pet him and be able to be in the same area when he was eating. About another month or so for him to allow me to pick him up and this was last summer. Now, he follows me everywhere. Even the bathroom! I can walk around the block and he will follow me like a dog would minus the constant peeing on everything. I can't let him down now!
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 3:14 AM on Feb. 28, 2013

• Max fund if they have it in your city has low cost medical for pets.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:44 AM on Feb. 28, 2013

• CareCredit??
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:17 PM on Feb. 28, 2013