How can we make our teenage son understand?

Our teenage son has had a lot of problems and is seeing a counselor regularly. He has ADHD. So we know there are issues. But today he started texting his cousin, who is a few years older and lives in another state, saying he's going to kill himself, and the cousin told his mom, who called us. He was just laying on his bed texting, not upset or crying or anything, when we called him he came bopping out of his room all fine, not acting like anything was wrong in the slightest. So we asked him, and he said he was kind of feeling bummed but no big deal, he didn't know why he said that. Usually if he's unhappy he's very emotional. We told him suicide was a serious thing to be throwing around and his cousin and aunt had freaked out and if there was a real problem he needed to tell someone, but he couldn't just say that stuff. He doesn't seem to get why everybody is so upset. He's not stupid. So what can we do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on Feb. 27, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• I'd just hug the boy and tell him I love him. He sounds like he knows what you have already said. I'd tell the counselor so he/she can tell him he gets put in patient in the hospital if it happens again.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:22 PM on Feb. 27, 2013

• Is it possible that he's acting they way he thinks that you'd want him to be? Meaning he's afraid to show you how he feels, you know been as teen boy and all. They can tend to keep to themselves.

I would love him and hold him tight and let him know that he is the most important thing to you. And even if you seem upset or frightened, that's ok because you need to let it out. And that you wouldn't be disappointed if he let it all out too.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:15 AM on Feb. 28, 2013

• Don't use ADHD as an excuse. It is Attention Deficiet Hyperactivity Disorder. It is not the reason for depression, suicidal thougts, etc. You may need to consider a medicene change but that's it as far as ADHD. My daughter has ADHD and tried to use that as an excuse for a lot of behavior problems. It came down to she just didn't want to do things. When she realized she couldn't get away with using ADHD as an excuse things changed.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 9:48 AM on Feb. 28, 2013