Dumb Quotes and Stupid Quotes (for Feral, who wants to be entertained)

I hope you get a smile, Feral. You need one today.

Below is a collection of dumb quotes and stupid quotes, many about computers, inventions, movies and business, from famous people who should have known better. But, no, they said it out loud and we've got their dumb quotes preserved for posterity. Ever notice how some people throughout history, the great ones, seem to have had psychic abilities? On the other hand, lots of people never had a clue.
Here are a few of the clueless, with their dumb quotes and stupid quotes.

Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
-- Dumb quote from Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.
-- Stupid quote from Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

"I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't last out the year."
-- Dumb quote from The editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall, 1957

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
-- Dumb quote said by Ken Olson, president, chairman/founder of Digital Equipment Corp.,1977

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us."
-- Stupid quote from Western Union internal memo, 1876.

Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?"
-- Dumb quote from H.M. Warner, Warner Brothers, 1927

"A cookie store is a bad idea. Besides, the market research reports America likes crispy cookies, not soft and chewy cookies like you make."
-- Dumb quote said to Debbi Fields' idea of starting Mrs. Fields' Cookies

"We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out.'
-- Stupid quote from Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962

"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible."
-- Dumb quote from Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895

"So we went to Atari and said, 'Hey, we've got this amazing thing, even built with some of your parts, and what do you think about funding us? Or we'll give it to you. We just want to do it. Pay our salary, we'll come work for you.' And they said, 'No.' So then we went to Hewlett-Packard, and they said, 'Hey, we don't need you. You haven't got through college yet."'
-- Apple Computer Inc. founder Steve Jobs on attempts to get Atari and HP interested in his and Steve Wozniak's personal computer

"Professor Goddard does not know the relation between action and reaction and the need to have something better than a vacuum against which to react. He seems to lack the basic knowledge ladled out daily in high schools."
-- Stupid quote in 1921 New York Times editorial about Robert Goddard's revolutionary rocket work

"You want to have consistent and uniform muscle development across all of your muscles? It can't be done. It's just a fact of life. You just have to accept inconsistent muscle development as an unalterable condition of weight training."
-- Dumb quote in response to Arthur Jones, who solved the "unsolvable" problem by inventing Nautilus

"Drill for oil? You mean drill into the ground to try and find oil? You're crazy."
-- Stupid quote from Drillers who Edwin L. Drake tried to enlist to his project to drill for oil in 1859

"Stocks have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau."
-- Dumb quote from Irving Fisher, Professor of Economics, Yale University, 1929

"Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value."
-- Stupid quote from Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superieure de Guerre

"Everything that can be invented has been invented."
-- Dumb quote from Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, US Office of Patents, 1899

"Louis Pasteur's theory of germs is ridiculous fiction."
-- Stupid quote from Pierre Pachet, Professor of Physiology at Toulouse, 1872

"The abdomen, the chest, and the brain will forever be shut from the intrusion of the wise and humane surgeon."
-- Dumb quote from Sir John Eric Ericksen, British surgeon, appointed Surgeon Extraordinary to Queen Victoria, 1873

"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
-- Yes, a stupid quote from Bill Gates, 1981

http://www.surfersam.com/wyatt.htm

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 3:21 AM on Feb. 28, 2013 in Just for Fun

• remember when bikes were dangerous and sex was safe?
    ^^ my dad's favorite joke. dirty 'ol biker
    haha
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 3:58 AM on Feb. 28, 2013

• My DH's grandfather was born in 1900.  His famous quote was, "  They're never going to let those cars on the road, they scare all the horses"

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:10 AM on Feb. 28, 2013

• Aww sweetie, had I known in advance about this post I would have gotten out my list of quotes to live by.
    I shall see how many I can remember
    If you have nothing nice to say come sit by me - a president's daughter
    it's not eureka but that's strange- einstein
    when you die nobody will remember how clean your house was- dont fucking remember and dont care :)
    if i wanted your opinion i would have asked, because i didnt ask- i didnt want it- me
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 3:40 AM on Feb. 28, 2013

• If you can't be good, be careful!
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 3:56 AM on Feb. 28, 2013