Your opinion on transgender children and restrooms

So I read this article, basically about a child who was born a boy, but is transgender and dresses and acts like a girl. The kid is 6 years old now, and goes to public school. The school has banned the child from using the girls bathroom, and has given the child the option of using the bathroom in the nurses area or the teachers bathroom. The parents are upset about this and feel the child should be able to use the girls bathroom. Supposedly, this child at age 4 asked his/her mother when they were going to go to the doctor and fix her. ( I just don't see this happening, how does a 4 year old even know they can be "fixed"). Anyway, how would you feel about this? Having a transgender child use the bathroom with other children not really in the same gender? (Not only in elementary, but in middle or high school as well)

Here is the link: sorry I don't know how to make it a clicky....

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/transgender-girl-s-parents-sue-for-her-right-to-use-the-bathroom-201415013.html

Personally, I am not exactly sure where I stand with this, on one side I feel for the child, however I also see how it could make so many more people uncomfortable especially once the kids start going thru puberty. I think the school is trying to make reasonable accommodations for the child, and the parents are just trying to stir something up without taking into account how this will affect other students now and later on.

Now I don't have any experience with having to deal with a transgender child, or when they are aware they don't want to be a girl/boy, however I think 18 months old is to young for a child to know what sex they are, I also think a 4 year old would not know they could be "fixed" by a doctor either, unless they have been coached and taught that information.

Your thoughts........

sheloveearth

Asked by sheloveearth at 10:33 AM on Feb. 28, 2013 in General Parenting

• I saw this article, and I would assume they should allow the boy to use the girl's restroom, for one because they have stalls that he wouldn't be gawked at etc. I wouldn't have an issue with it, if my child went to school with him. Most transgender people know from a very early age they are born in the wrong body, so kudos to his parents for being able to help him. No surgery is allowed to be done, until the child is an adult. I do know that at puberty they will allow the child to take hormones, etc.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 10:37 AM on Feb. 28, 2013

• I am all for it.
    If a transgender walked into a males room dressed as a female. That is just setting her up to be attacked and vis versa.
    What's the harm in it? Its not like they are the peeping toms of the world
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:42 AM on Feb. 28, 2013

• so if this child walks into a girl's restroom, the other little girls are going to freak out and feel uncomfortable? the child is 6 years old. its not like he wants to go in there and look at all the other vaginas for crying out loud. 

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:43 AM on Feb. 28, 2013

• I hate when this issue comes up,because people instantly associate transgender people with sexual deviants and rapists. As if they are pretending so they can get into the opposite sex bathroom to gawk at and rape the people in there.
    That GIRL should be able to use the bathroom of the gender she associates herself as

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:43 AM on Feb. 28, 2013

• i think a child CAN know at this age that "they have the wrong body"
    i saw this family on tv other day

i would like to see school allow the girl to use the girls bathroom
    maybe make a change in how
    - have an adult female teacher in there with all the kids to make sure, no other child sees anything they are not suppose to
    at this age, kids will not lock stall door and it swings open, they have issue with zipper or fasteners etc etc
    plenty of opportunities to NOT have 100% closed individual doors to do your private business- this would not be good for any of the kids
    one adult female in bathroon to monitor would fix any issue (imo).this adult can remind them all to wash hands, be quiet, stop goofing off, etc
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:45 AM on Feb. 28, 2013

• also, i went to school with a transgender female. i remember the first time she walked into the bathroom while i was using it, my eyes popped out of my head. i didn't know she was a she; yet. she looked just like a boy. that was awkward. she was not allowed to use the boy's restroom simply because of what she had (or lacked better yet) between her legs; although you wouldn't have known she was a girl unless she told you.

she was also banned from doing a lot of things unless she dressed like a girl- which i thought was so ridiculous and discriminatory.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:46 AM on Feb. 28, 2013

• and if this woman walked into the males room, what do you think would really happen? Espeically once the men see she has a penis?

LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:47 AM on Feb. 28, 2013

• I have a dear friend that is transgender. He was born a girl but considers himself male now. He has breasts, btw. He is in seminary school and can't use the men's locker room at the gym alone. He has to have someone go with him because he was almost raped and is constantly bullied.

He advocates for gender neutral bathrooms. Like how some stores have family bathrooms for moms with older kids that need help, but are too old to be in the women's room.

I watched that little girl on tv the other day. Seriously, she should be allowed in the girls restroom.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 10:51 AM on Feb. 28, 2013

• i am betting all the kids think/know that this girl is a girl
    making her use the bathroom in the nurses office, singles her out= not ok

so she should use the girls room
    and an adult in there to make sure the kids all wash their hands, and see how it is going fixes it all
    i do not think an adult needs to make sure the kids act ok with regards to this child- but that her privates to not get accidently "outed", and to clam any issues that other parents have

at least at my daughters school, all the kids are lined up to go at the same time- a teacher is with all the kids anyway- this teacher can make sure that everyone s privacy is private
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:51 AM on Feb. 28, 2013

• Girls bathrooms have stalls. Let her use the girls bathroom.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:58 AM on Feb. 28, 2013