When did it become ok for clerks,employees,phone representatives,etc,to call you by your 1st name?

Am I just old school in my thinking,or is this rude?
If you do not know me,and this is a business transaction,to YOU,I am Ms. J....

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 10:39 AM on Feb. 28, 2013 in Just for Fun

• It's supposed to make it feel more personal and whatnot but it really annoys me. Unless I KNOW you, don't call me by my first name- it feels fake and creepy to me
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:58 AM on Feb. 28, 2013

• I would rather they do that then call me Ma'am! I don't know why I hate being called Ma'am!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 10:40 AM on Feb. 28, 2013

• It doesn't bother me. I agree with Jersey about mam though. My karate school calls everyone sir or mam, and it took a long time to get used to.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:41 AM on Feb. 28, 2013

• PS- Maybe they should call and ask for Mommy, I think that is my real name now anyway!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 10:42 AM on Feb. 28, 2013

• When I worked at the call center, when you call in, your whole personal information screen automatically opened on my computer screen. I asked who I was speaking to, checked to see if they were on the approved list and then I would usually called them Ma'am or Sir. Rarely, I called them Mr. or Mrs.... It they wanted to be called by their first name, they usually would tell you up front.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:47 AM on Feb. 28, 2013

• It's supposed to be friendly and personal but I find it presumptuous and rude. I really hate it when others want to force you to be more formal while they want to use the more casual, like doctors. They want to call you by your first name, but you are to address them as Dr. Whatever.

hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 11:05 AM on Feb. 28, 2013

• I prefer being called by my first name. Ma'am makes me feel old, and Ms. _______ is too proper for me lol.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:54 AM on Feb. 28, 2013

• If you do not know me you may call me ma'am or Mrs. .....
    If I see you all the time it is a toss up.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:54 AM on Feb. 28, 2013

• I don't like however when they repeatedly use my name. "Thank you ________. I can definitely help you with that today ________. Now ________ would you mind telling me about the issue? Ok__________, one moment please __________. Can I help you with anything else today ____________? Have a great day __________"

I wanna say "that's my name, don't wear it out" Jeesh.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:56 AM on Feb. 28, 2013

• Depends- if you're at Starbucks and they're yelling your name for your drink, would you rather they yell Susan or Mrs Smith?
    Now when I'm checking in to a hotel, I'd prefer Mrs.....
    I think people do that a lot if you have a last name that's hard to pronounce, which mine is.
    If it's a telemarketer, I will not correct them, but someone I'm dealing with face to face I will.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:00 PM on Feb. 28, 2013