How to make my child intrested in reading

i have my 6 year old in kindagartner what can make him more interested in reading ...and how to make his memory strong ....i have my 2 year old he knows how to sound alphabet and write too how i can make him to be good reader before he go to school

hadia

Asked by hadia at 12:31 PM on Feb. 28, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Can you let him pick out his own books? Does he see you reading? Maybe you could take him to the library and let everyone pick out their own books???
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:36 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• You can't 'make' a child do anything, but I think a love of reading comes sometimes from example. I love to read, always have. My mother always had a book in hand where ever she went, and I learned to love reading from her example. She took us to the library at least once a week and we picked out our own books, things we wanted to read. I did the same with my children and the oldest two enjoy reading very much. The others... not so much, but I think that's because they haven't found a book series that they love yet.

But try not to force your children to learn. They'll learn to read, etc on their own time as long as they have support and resources available to them from you.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:06 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• Read to him. Many times a day. Stories that he is interested in...and make them entertaining to him by using different voices, hand gestures, and facial expressions.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:08 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• Read to them (both) a lot. If your older child is struggling with reading on his own or learning to read, don't emphasize that as much and increase the amount of time you are reading more advanced material to him. Instead of trying to work on the simpler beginning reader material, read rich storybooks to him. Stop trying to get him to identify a word, or quizzing him, so that you are not making reading a chore. Work from the bottom up....recognize that he is having some sort of issue & work to correct the "this is work" or "I don't like this" dynamic by taking the pressure off, and increasing his love/enjoyment for the activity.
    This is the most important thing for your 2 year old, too.
    Notice how much you might be directing the toddler's activity, and let his/her natural interests guide more of it. There is more value & foundation in that, than in memorizing material (particularly if it is arbitrary/abstract in nature.)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 1:42 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• My kids, although "gifted" (as classified by the school) weren't interested in reading much in early elementary. I read to them at night out of chapter books through elementary school. As they got older they enjoyed reading more. A large part of it is finding books that interest them.

Answer by missanc at 2:12 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• Go to the library's story hours plus go often and check out books they want to read. Look at the list of activities at the library and take part in some of them. Read to them often.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 2:39 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• If you local library has a Paws to read program and he likes dogs this may be some way to encourage him.
    Children spend time maybe 15 minutes reading to dogs.
    When my son did this he loved it and is now an avid reader.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:31 PM on Feb. 28, 2013