How old were you when you started shaving your legs etc?

Did your mother tell you it was time, or did you start, or ask on your own? I have a friend who has a daughter who is very hairy and is 11, her mom doesn't want her to shave, wax or use Nair because she thinks she isn't old enough, but the kid is begging to start.
I was with the kid, I told her Mom I was going to ask you what you all thought, and she was very curious to know what other mothers would do.

jerseydiva

Asked by jerseydiva at 12:33 PM on Feb. 28, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think it is a "when she needs to" thing rather than an "age" thing. I am a hairy girl, and I was a C cup by the time I was in the 5th grade. My mother thought shaving and wearing a bra would sexualize me until my aunt stepped up and talked to her about it. I was 10 or 11. The bra came first, then the shaving.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 2:40 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• Yes absolutely!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:39 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• 11 or 12. I was in PE class and I overheard another girl teasing her friend about her hairy legs. I looked down at mine and was mortified. I went home that day and took my mother's razor and attempted to shave my legs. I missed many spots.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:40 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• Oh, and please don't let young girls use Nair. It can cause chemical burns!!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:53 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• I first did it myself at 10. Needless to say, my mother realized what I did when she saw all the blood in the tub... LOL! After that she gave me a few lessons and set me free. I still have scars on my legs. Although back then we used the old fashion razors which cut your legs to shreds.

My daughter also did it herself at about that age, but I was a little concerned when I saw all the hair in the tub. Turns out she also shaved her arms. Ugh...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:35 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• I started shaving when I was around 10 I think. Once I started getting big girl hair my mom taught me. I would let dd shave whenever she starts to need it. I'm not going to make her be uncomfortable.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 12:37 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• I was in 5th or 6th grade. I got to do it b/c I was in cheerleading & the other girls were doing it too. My own dau is in 5th grade & has asked me about shaving hers. We may start this summer- we'll see. :/

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:37 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• 13? 14? I was awful at it. Buy band aids with the razors.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:38 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• Yes ^^^
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:40 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• I was in 7th grade...my mom didn't really like the idea-but let me (as long as I didn't go much above the knee- not sure what that was about)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:40 PM on Feb. 28, 2013