Weird Limping

I need some advice. My 3 year old son started limping last night when Dad picked him up from school. The teacher did not know when or how he may have hurt himself. My son will not give a straight answer when asked if it hurts or how it happened. There was no bruising, swelling, redness or tender spots. He is also not complaining about it. This morning he is still limping. I checked him over and there is still no bruising, swelling, redness or tender spots that I can find. He does not say it hurts but he will not put his full weight on the leg. I can't believe he is good enough to pull off faking it, but I can't seem to find a cause for it. Should I take him to the doctor or wait for a day or so to see if it improves?

hootie826

Asked by hootie826 at 12:53 PM on Feb. 28, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My middle son did this when he was four. Started limping. I would ask him, "does your leg hurt? does your foot hurt? " He'd say NO to everything. I looked him all over. Couldn't find a thing. After four days of limping, I couldn't take it anymore, and took him to the doctor. They xrayed, and found he had a broken ankle. Talk about feeling like Mom of the Year!! Ugh. The doctor asked him why he wouldn't say his ankle hurt, and my son says "some hurts don't need to be talked about".... Seriously. From a 4 year old. Never did know exactly what he did to break his ankle, because he was a very rowdy boy, and we could never pin point it. But I learned then to never trust them to be accurate of their health and well being at that age, and if mommy instincts say 'go to the doctor", then do it.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 5:00 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• Kids do have weird growth spurts. So maybe he is fixing to grow and the muscles are strtetching and cramping.
    Once DS let his toenails grow too long and we could not figure out why on earth he was having trouble walking running etc. He was older and well able to take care of these things himself. Imagine how embarrassing to find that his toenails were the problem. DD's leg muscles we would not grow as fast as her leg bones and she had periodic bouts with discomfort.
    Maybe try warm soakes in the bath tub and a rub wiith moistising lotion. Good for the skin but more for the massage.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:15 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• Something like that happened to DS when he was about 2. He had a cold a couple weeks before and then just one day he would fall to the ground when he tried to put weight on his left leg. Too him to the Dr and took ex rays and blood tests and complete history. The Dr. Told us that sometimes when a child has a virus that it can settle in joints before it works through the body. He told us to give him a few days and bring him back if it did t improve. He was fine two days later.
    So, if it were me I would probably wait it out a day or two if he wasn't complaining of pain. If he was complaining I would take him to the Dr.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:55 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• Maybe his shoes are too tight. Kids have weird growth spurts!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:51 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• I felt all around his foot, ankle, calf & knee. Moved all his toes, rotated and flexed his ankle.
    hootie826

Comment by hootie826 (original poster) at 1:02 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• Did you check the bottom of his foot?
    If it is a slight limp you may want to wait a day and see but if it continues I would have the doc give him a look see.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:56 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• growing pain? I did that a couple times when I was young and the doctor told my parents it was due to growing pains. I say give it till Monday if it remains painless then take him in.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:54 PM on Feb. 28, 2013