What things help to increase childs memory

my son is 6 year old and i see his memory is not good like he forget thongs easy but what he want to keep in his brain that he knows otherwise all things like spellings he cant keep them

hadia

Asked by hadia at 12:55 PM on Feb. 28, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You are obsessing over this. Kids are like this and if you are honest so are you. You remember what you want to remember. Reptition in spelling words is a help. If he is failing, hire a tutor.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:58 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• Dude, try not to worry about your kids and their learning abilities. Seriously, if the child is failing then get a tutor or talk to the school about extra help. For spelling my kids always wrote the words 5 times each several times a week, and once a week they had to write out their spelling words using them in a sentence. It helps to keep repeating them so that they remember.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:02 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• If he is having spelling tests have him write each word 5 times for 2 days before the test. I would do that or just have him verbally say the word then spell it.
    txnmomof4

Answer by txnmomof4 at 1:02 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• He can have come of my 5 yr old DDs. She has a memory of an elephant! She remembers things that happen several years ago.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:03 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• I don't know...the Memory game?
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:05 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• The key is what he's interested in, or what he loves. Learning comes naturally when a child/person is engaged in the material.

Hands-on learning is tied to doing, and makes sense to the learner/doer. It's concrete. The meaning is intrinsically tied to the "material" so it makes sense to the person. It's not just arbitrary information that doesn't have clear meaning or value for the person.

With a very young child (isn't your son in kindergarten?), a "spelling word" would fall into the category of arbitrary, or almost meaningless. The letters & "how they work" (why these letters are involved, but not those, and why they're in this order & not that) is abstract information. It doesn't come naturally to young children, and it is more likely to come easily to them if they have a foundation of rich hands-on experiential learning, first.

Is the initiative for remembering words at sight coming from you or school?
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 1:32 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• Repetition, flashcards. I hated them growing up, because we did them all the time (even though I was academically advanced), but I sure remember the things that were on them. And making them was part of helping me remember. I made them myself when I was in high school/college because they helped so much.

Answer by missanc at 2:04 PM on Feb. 28, 2013