What do you think of Bible Study in school?

Seeing this on my facebook wall, since we live right over the NC line and are from NC : "A new bill is being proposed which would allow North Carolina public schools to offer bible study classes for academic credit.

These elective classes will cover the Old Testament, the New Testament, or a combination of both. What do you think about the possibility of N.C. schools offering bible study classes?"

(sources : https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=488251754544853&set=a.116581068378592.7728.114787771891255&type=1&ref=nf

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02/27/bill-would-add-bible-study-at-nc-public-schools/)

I, myself, think there is no reason for Bible study classes in school. I'm not opposed to world religions classes, or religious history classes, but teaching the Bible as truth in school, or whatever Bible "study" means in this context, even as an elective, bothers me. That some students could get credit for a class that teaches things that may or may not be factual and doesn't actually lend to any sort of real educational merit is something I can't agree with. I don't mind objective religious classes that teach what is provable - those like I already mentioned - but something that leads only toward indoctrination or interpretation, etc, just doesn't seem right. I also tend to agree with the quote near the end of the second link discussing why such a class would be problematic.

bandgeek521

Asked by bandgeek521 at 1:09 PM on Feb. 28, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I'm Atheist and as long as the class is elective I could care less. But if all students have to take it I would raise hell since it's not the schools place to teach religion.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:11 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• If it is elective, I see no problem with it. Even as an Atheist, I think religious studies is an interesting concept and it gives you some insight into the beliefs of people with whom you share the world. I would not be offended if my children decided to take a course like that, and I would encourage it.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:22 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• I think if it were proposed as a religious philosophy class (like one offered in college) designed to promote deep thought, for high school students only, as an elective it wouldn't bother me. But, yes, just teaching the Bible as a set truth is worrisome.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:24 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• It bothers me.  We have a "Bible History" class offered as an elective at my daughter's school.  The group behind it is not secretive about its motives:  to bring the Bible into schools through any method possible.  The problem I have is that they approach the Bible as an actual history book, when there is little evidence to support any of the stories in it.  It's a thinly veiled attempt to validate and promote the Christian faith in public schools, and I oppose that.  That is not, and should not be, the purpose of public education.  Teach the Bible in Church, in Sunday School, in Bible Study held in places of worship, but not in public schools.  Period.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 1:26 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• Are they offering other studies such as Hindu, Buddhist, Pagan, Muslim, etc. If not than Bible Study shouldn't be offered. elective or not.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:29 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• Not in primary school. This is a college course

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:35 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• Some people compare the Bible to mythology. A student can get credit for reading mythology in some Language Arts and other classes. The Bible is on my 5th grader's reading list (a list of possible reads, not required, but is deemed acceptable reading from which they can be tested for a grade). So I see no problem with it as long as it is elective, thus the parents can vet the class as acceptable or not. However, Christian parents and students may find that the teacher may not teach the Bible in an objective way as most don't.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 1:39 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• As an elective, sure. As a requirement, no. I think whether you believe in and kind of god or not it's good to know what other people believe, and why they believe it. Knowledge plays an important role in acceptance.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:43 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• However, if the school is going to provide a Christian bible study they better be prepared to start a Quran study and/or any other class that teaches other religions. Better yet create an elective that covers all religions. If that's too much than I say no religious studies at all.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:45 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• I think there may be better settings than public school to teach children about the Bible. I would rather see an elective course that gives a brief introduction to the history and beliefs of multiple religions.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:50 PM on Feb. 28, 2013