How Many Mom's out there? ASL yes or no?

How many parents out there teach their baby/child ASL (American Sign Language) I do and I love it. for many reasons. Fun fact- It is the 2 most used language in the US.

1. It helps gives the child words when they can't verbally speak them.
2. cuts down on temper tantrums
3. It makes the child use both sides of their brain at one time.
4. they have a second language.

Novmeber2006

Asked by Novmeber2006 at 2:04 PM on Feb. 28, 2013 in General Parenting

• Did you spell November wrong on purpose?
    And no,I didn't.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:06 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• I did briefly to help my son learn to talk. We spoke and signed at the same time. As he became more verbally proficient we cut down on the signing.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:08 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• I taught asl to all 5 of mine. It helped my oldest with autism before he was verbal and the others picked it up mainly because I was using it with them, but I do think it cut down on tantrums before they could talk by giving them a way to communicate.

Answer by missanc at 2:09 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• I had two speech delayed kids, so teaching them ASL was mostly so they could communicate with us without either of us being frustrated.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:09 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• No-I didn't mean to do it, by the time I noticed couldn't change it, the way I wanted it was taken and couldn't fix it without making a new account
    Novmeber2006

Comment by Novmeber2006 (original poster) at 2:09 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• I did it for more reasons then listed, But, glad I decided to use it, because my middle one has had some health issues and it has helped a lot with her, growing and speaking
    Novmeber2006

Comment by Novmeber2006 (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• No but we're Italian & we talk with our hands regularly. LOL! Seriously. When I ask the baby if she's hungry, I put my hands to my mouth. If I say are you tired I put my hand on the side of my face & tilt my head. When I say look, I point at my eyes the to the object. Many other things too. I know that is not really sign language but it works for us & both kids did it too!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:14 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• the=then (sp)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:15 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• I didn't. I would have, but I didn't know it myself. I looked up some stuff and even began to take a ASL class in college but had to drop it because it conflicted with another class. I think he knew the sign for milk, more, and sleepy but that was pretty much it. He's learning Spanish now and I think that's cool. I fully intend to keep that going!
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 2:16 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• I have know it since I was 5-6yrs old. But, when my friends ask I tell them to use Flash card or a Baby signing DVD and learn it together. You (the Parent) study them learning the basic needs. (milk, more, mom, dad, bath, sleep, eat) the main every needs of a child) and then make it a game with the flash cards and dvd. Something to do with the child that is fun and learning at the same time
    Novmeber2006

Comment by Novmeber2006 (original poster) at 2:23 PM on Feb. 28, 2013