What would you do?

So DD took her weekly spelling test last week. She came home with an A+...so proud of her because it is something that has only happened 2 other times on pre-test day (Thursday is pre-test...if they get all words right, they don't have to take it again on Friday; if they get any word wrong on Thursday, they have to take entire test over on Friday).

After actually paying attention to what she did on the test, I realize she didn't get an A+.

She mispelled 2 of the 12 words.

For WILD, she wrote W-I-R-D...teacher has red mark of an "L" over the "R" so I believe she thought DD just made a crappy "L"

For BLOW, she wrote B-L-O-A-W...you can tell the "A" was put in as an afterthought and it isn't easy to see it, but it's there (and not something DD had tried to erase).

I know it is the right thing to do to say something to teacher (Lord knows I would be saying something if she counted words wrong that weren't wrong)........but DD was so happy and excited to bring home her A+ on her pre-test that I would hate to take that away from her.

What would you do?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 3:55 PM on Feb. 28, 2013 in

• Sadly I would mention it to the teacher tonight and ask that she take the test tomorrow.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:17 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• Tough situation. I think I would try to talk to the teacher quietly, off to the side on Monday and let her know what you found on the pre-test. Your daughter brought home the A+, and y'all were so proud of her that you didn't look too closely at the paper until the weekend when you had some down time. THAT'S when you noticed to two, minor, mistakes.

Yes, it's a white lie. It also lets your daughter have her proud moment, and lets the teacher know that a mistake was made. Shoot, it may even be a case of she wrote it wrong, but was able to verbally correct herself and the teacher didn't mark it like that on the paper. Who knows?

I'd mention it. I'd also try not to make a big deal about it either. Teachers nowadays have SO much on their plates.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:21 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• If a week has already gone by, there is nothing to be gained from bringing it up now. I still say let it go.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:43 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• I would show her what was wrong and have Her bring it up to the teacher. You are teaching her honesty and integrity.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 5:16 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• Let her have this moment. In the long run, you aren't really hurting anyone. It's not as though she's excited because she put one over on the teacher.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:06 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• This is last week's test, not this week's. I just noticed it today though.
    AllAboutKeeley

Comment by AllAboutKeeley (original poster) at 4:34 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• Then I would just let it go.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:44 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• I would just let this one go. If the same thing keeps happening then bring it up to the teacher. I'm sure she will not spell "blow" with an a for the rest of her life lol so I wouldn't worry about the test. Don't let yourself feel like you're allowing her to cheat by not bringing it up, you're not!
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 4:58 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• Oh, I thought it was a test for tomorrow. Then just let it be. Maybe review the words with her a few times to make sure she knows them, but I don't think the teacher would take away her A after a week is passed.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:01 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• I would have a play test at home and see if she really knows how to spell those two words. If not, I'd show her how. If she does, I'd let it go. I wouldn't involve the teacher in it. Sometimes we parents have to do follow up teaching at home. Just tell her how proud you are of her and have her "remind" you how to spell blow. Then I'd pretend to think of another word and say "what about wild?" Then I'd give her a big hug and do something nice for her doing such a great job

Answer by admckenzie at 5:35 PM on Feb. 28, 2013