Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

if i collect food stamps for my child, can my fatherinlaw who the child lives with for about a year claim her as his child for tax return??

Answer Question

Asked by Katty11 at 5:57 PM on Feb. 28, 2013 in General Parenting

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (14)
  • This is confusing Does she live with you or with him?

    Answer by Dardenella at 6:03 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

  • If he was the head of her household and providing for more than 50% of her expenses, yes.

    Answer by maecntpntz219 at 6:03 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

  • wait, You collecting food stamps for the child while she was not living with you?

    Answer by But_Mommie at 6:03 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

  • Yes, he can if he provided half of her living expenses and she lived with him for half the year, is the way it used to be. You shouldn't be collecting foodstamps for her if she doesn't live with you

    Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:04 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

  • she lived with him only for 8 months he paid little more then 50% of her expenses, i supported her with food

    Comment by Katty11 (original poster) at 6:12 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

  • If she lived w/ him for over 6 mos he can claim her on his taxes. Good luck explaining that one to your caseworker! Hopefully you don't have to file taxes.

    Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:22 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

  • I wouldn't let him. You could get in trouble.

    Answer by louise2 at 6:28 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

  • The only way you should get food stamps for your daughter is if she is living with you, if she wasn't then it is fraud and you can be fined, have to pay back everything the state gave you and could face jail time. If the grandfather could not provide food while she was living there, he could have applied for stamps and he would have received them not you personally. Also if he paid for more than half of her expenses he can claim her as a dependent.

    Answer by sheloveearth at 6:33 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

  • Yes he can, she lived with him over half of the year.

    Answer by funlovinlady at 6:44 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

  • He should claim her, you were not her primary caregiver.
    You better start being up front before you get arrested for Welfare Fraud.
    BTW- posting in a public forum is the first step towards getting caught.

    Answer by PartyGalAnne at 7:18 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.