DIET AND STOOL SOFTENERS

to all you good go getters i don't think i want your answers- i am a realistic and anyone that actually is over weight and is depressed about it would consider alot more then just a diet to lose the weight and no im not talking crack or meth or shit like that---- i am wondering if any of you have ever tried stool softners and does it work? i need to loose 45 ibs and my diet and excersize are just fine- i work out and i never eat out i don't really ever eat candy or noodles or sauces - obviously something is wrong- stress - the SNOW whatever either way i need to lose it and i would like to talk to someone that has gone through this and understands the way i feel ....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 PM on Feb. 28, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• I dont know how being "realistic" will make you want to take a laxative. Stool softeners are used to treat occasional constipation, not to be taken every day. The package also says do not take for more then 1 week.

I think if you aren't seeing th results you want think about changing your workout routine also the amount of calories you intake

Anonymous

• I would never abuse any kind of medication in order to lose weight. Why? Because what you will see is short term results.

What you probably need to do it go to your doctor and find out what is keeping you from losing weight. When I noticed I had weight problems no matter what I did to exercise and eat right, I looked at my life and how I was feeling. I discovered that I had most of the symptoms of being hypothyroid. Sure enough all the labs screamed hypothyroidism! It's still hard to control my weight, but at least I know how to handle it and when to talk to the doc when I start gaining, etc.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:49 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• So you WANT to have malnutrition?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:50 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• I think that in the long run taking a stool softner for losing weight will be more hurtful than anything. What happens when you reach your goal weight ad stop sh*tting yourselfa dozen times a day?
    You might have a thyroid problem, talk to your Doctor and they may be able to help you. Perhaps you have hit a plateu in your workout and need to switch it up and do something different because right now you are just maintaining weight, so you need to do a totally different workout (P90x, Insanity, Jillian Micheals etc)
    Good Luck
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:51 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• I have tried them and it does not work. try adding fibre to your diet. it's healthier and keeps your blood pumping. seriously google the benefits of fibre in the diet. its incredible. also increase your fluid intake.

do you walk 3000 steps a day?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:53 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• stool softners are NOT the answer. They just soften. You want hydration not dehydration for weight loss.

Diets don't work, it is better to look at it as healthy eating, throw away any scales and focus on how you feel...

I do get where you are coming from, I almost hit 200 lbs when pregnant with my 1st child. Unfortunately she didn't weigh 80 lbs.... After the birth, my depression came from seeing those numbers and fixating on the need to loose, that is why I say throw away the scale and redirect your focus on health rather than weight....

Look up cinnamon /honey detox. Cinnamon is a fat blocker and this is a cheap, easy natural detox combination. The drink isn't the best at the end, but it works. GL
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:58 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• BAD idea.

I have a total of at least 65 lbs to lose (maybe more-we will see once I get there) and so far am down 47...

are you counting calories? You have to eat enough to sustain the exercise you are doing and whatnot. There is a healthy weight loss group here that can give you all kinds of information and support to do this.

here:  http://www.cafemom.com/group/1111

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:00 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• I went from 200 lbs to 145. It took me about a year and 1/2 to do it. I spent my evenings fast walking in every kind of weather, no excuses. I switched from eating on dinner plates to saucers. Drank lots of water, especially before meals.
    It wasn't easy and I didn't want to lose it too fast. Fear of gaining it back. I've kept the weight off for over 4 years now.
    You just have to jump start your metabolism.
    Stool Softeners DO NOT help and it's not healthy. Good luck! You can do it!
    Anonymous

• Tweak your diet. Try gluten free, or low carb, or low cal, or something. You could actually have a food allergy that is keeping the weight on you.
    I'd also like to know what you consider working out? Obviously you are doing something wrong or the weight would be coming off.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:23 PM on Feb. 28, 2013

• The risk to your health from stool softeners are not worth it. Don't go down that road. If you can not lose and keep weight off naturally it's not good or healthy for you. Throwing up, crash diets, starvation, stool softeners. It take dedication and a long time. Learning to eat healthy and excersise.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 11:53 PM on Feb. 28, 2013