What do you think about the morbidly obese?

Ok, so I'm asking this again b/c people OBVIOUSLY didn't understand what i am asking! They bashed me and said "they are good people too". Stop being stupid, I know this, some of my family members are very overweight. I NEVER make fun of them or stangers. This question is to more ask like... what to do about it? To know that obesity is killing these people, esp. family. I do think it is selfish to get over 300 lbs... I don't understand, I KNOW there are medical issues, not tlaking about that. Just people that let themselves go... what do you think fo them and what do you suggest they do? ( yes I am overweight and 8 months pregnant, no where near 300 lbs and I do plan on getting that weight off. It's nto fair to my kids)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'm sorry but if you're over 300 lbs it not just because...
    Some people have it in their heredity, yes..but being over 300 lbs you can't live by that excuse alone.
    Anonymous

• Healthy diet and exercise.

Anybody watch "Biggest Loser"?
    Anonymous

• I just pity them. They have to want to change themselves, and sadly, too many of them feel hopeless about it.
    Anonymous

• I have always had a very nice figure which i am proud of and my husband has a very nice body. My children have never suffered with it and they are not even close because we always have something healthy on the menu. Our family has never had problems with obesity so i do not know how it effects people but i think that you shouldn't let yourself go but some people can't help it  and i fully understand because they are still people and i treat them the same.

Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 7:15 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I have family member that are very obese and it pains me greatly to see them like that. I love them very much but I cant change them. I was always raised in another state but we went to see them a couple of times a year and my genetic make up was very similar to theirs but because we didn't grow up there with them, I was a lot thinner, even though I still struggled with my weight, so there are definitely genetic components BUT BUT BUT.....I think the root of the issue with very obese people is that they hurt just like other people hurt but their issues manifest in food. They eat their feelings. Some people shop, some people use drugs, some drink, some play video games, some sleep. There are like a million types of addictions a person can have and everyone has one of them, even if its just a level of co dependency or addicted to relationships. Some are easier to hide than others. Obese people just have a harder time hiding.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:18 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I too am overweight. So noone jump me for these remarks. Some obesity is a result of illness yes. But not much. Most of it (me!) is because heck yeah food tastes good and I'm lazy. Wow honestly brownie or brussel sprouts? Okay hands down most of us would say brownie. But we as a family eat healthy but I snack alot. My mom passed away at 59 due to blocked arteries. I am scared sh!!less that I too will follow her to an early grave. I am now exercising and eatting way better than I grew up eating. But I am now where near a healthy weight. And like Anon 7:15 says yes I do feel helpless about it. It took me 5 pregnancies, a 10 month bout of mono and 14 years to put this weight on. And it does feel hopeless cause well shoot I get depressed that poof I don't have a magic wand to take it off. I am not happy that I have let myself go this far.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:23 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Well it depends on what you consider overweight and obese, because while I think of myself as slightly over weight I am no where near obese, now I will say this my friend is obese about 335 or so, and she does nothing to help herself lose any weight and she knows that she has been TTC for a long time and has been told by several doctors she needs to lose weight first but she just wont I have seen how she eats and she eats a lot period more at one meal than I ever could, and like I said I can eat a lot, she also doesn't eat healthy at all, so IMO being obese is almost like cancer some have it because of things that they do or dont do, and other cannot help it.

hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 7:59 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• lol pagirl, right on, i weigh 220 and im obese and i've TRIED to lose weight (i was 185 prepreg) but its sooo hard i guess its just the hormones
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 8:03 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I was actually just talking to my SO about this the other day. As we were sitting eating some pizza, I saw at least 3 young women, under 23, that were obese. I was chunky through high school, but I KNEW I was chunky. I did everything I could to control my weight. And after high school, when I went to college, I thinned out. I have kept the weight off until now that I am pregnant.
    I know some people have diseases or illnesses that cause weight gain, but I also know there are a lot of people who refuse to eat right and take responsibility for themselves. My mother is a perfect example.
    She is obese, not mobidly. But she can swim 3 miles in the ocean, swim a miole 3 X a week, and she still wont loose weight. And she has no idea why. But I see what her habits are. She eats hershey kisses by the handful, ice cream every day, and has candy hidden through the house.
    Loosing weight is hard, and food is addictive, but it can be done.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:13 AM on Feb. 16, 2009