What do you think will be the best return for the investment?

We are debating finishing out the media room and also building an outdoor living space (will have a grill and probably a fire place / pit, but may not have running water for a sink). I know the outdoor living space will cost considerably more on the front end, but I am wondering what potential buyers will notice and be more attracted to?

Here is what we are starting with on each:

Media room:  Already has a wet bar and cabinetry in the back corner and space for a mini fridge for drinks.  It's prewired for the equipment (speakers, screen, receiver, sub, projector).  We basically will have to paint it a different color, add equipment (which can get pricey) and furniture.  I'm figuring at least two theater chairs and a few large bean bags.

Outdoor living space:  We pretty much only have a back patio slab that we would need to expand on and it is plumed for natural gas for our grill.  We would need to built a roof off the side of the house, expand the concrete, build up counter space and also a fireplace / pit area as well.  I think I would rather have a fireplace and use it structurally to help support said roof that we would have to have built out.  It would have to be wired for television and lighting / ceiling fans.  

To add to these details, we live in an area that doesn't get too cold, but during the summer it gets hot as hell.  We get snow maybe once or twice a year and it doesn't stick long.  While a home theater can be used any time, the outdoor living space can be used a decent amount as well considering it is not a very cold climate and we plan to have some kind of heating element out there (fireplace / pit).

Thanks in advance for answers and also advice or suggestions.

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 10:03 AM on Mar. 1, 2013 in Home & Garden

• The outside living area. I would put in a couple of outdoor fans (overhead), expand the patio and roof and invest in plants and bushes to make it pleasant to be out there. I would not be interesting in having a fireplace outside but an area for a grill and a place to set a large table to you as a counter would be my suggestion because it is removable.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:29 AM on Mar. 1, 2013

• More than likely it would be the outdoor living space so long as it does not take up to much of the yard.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:10 AM on Mar. 1, 2013

• Well, if you were to move you would most likely take the equipment with you, I think the fact that it is already wired etc. would be a major selling point. I would say do the back living space, but unless you are planning to move in the next couple of years, I would say do whatever your family will enjoy most.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 10:12 AM on Mar. 1, 2013

• The way that new technology is becoming, I would doubt that leaving the equipment would get you as much as the investment, I love to be outdoors, so I would vote for a really awesome outdoor space. Take a family vote, with Mom and Dad getting last say!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 10:22 AM on Mar. 1, 2013

• With things being wireless the media room is not important , the back yard seems a better bet I also do not care for pools. It would be nice if you left room for trees. new carpets is nice. What did you like about the house when you got it?
    sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 11:21 AM on Mar. 1, 2013

• I also am not big on decorating, maybe for te same reasons.
    A friend told me to sit all alone in the room,preferably on a swivel chair. Paper and pencil in hand. She said to sit and close my eyes and thing about (room name so we will say living room LR) Think about how that word feels to you and write down a couple key words to discribe it. Warm, cool, happy, shelter, safety, formal etc. Now open your eyes and look at just that quarter of the room. Ttry to notice the features of the area. Close your eyes and try to see what you feel for that area of the roo, kids playing board games, a train setup, books and a chair curtains even color. If you draw try to draw out the idea if not write it down as vividly as you can.
    Another paper for each quarter of the room , best to lable each and do the same.
    try to set the pieces all down together to get adeas of how all of it can merge into a room for your family
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:04 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• You only need to feel one room at a time and decorate that. She suggested first finding the pieces that you love in what you already have and moving them possibly to a different area of the home to change up things. Then you can add things you buy or make with a plan.
    When that room is done go to the physical next room. Same thing but you start with the area of the room that faces the room you have completed. This gives you the flow.
    She also suggested thinking about how you use the home. What entrance do you use the most and why. it is where the garage is, closest to the kitchen/ groceries/ storage area, kids are messy and it is easiest to clean, I just always do. lol Try making sure there is storage for stuff at that entrance, shoes, coats, hats, mittens, bookbag, briefcase, even to set the groceries down or hang up dog leashes. Try to think of everything that goes on in that area and try to decorate to meet
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:13 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• those needs. Company goes in the front door? Try to make it a little more spiffy but welcoming.
    She strongly suggest we not do major renovations until we had done the rest of the house because we would probably regret it later, as in it wasn't necessary to go through the cost and incovenience. She also said to get the outside prettied up because it would make us feel more comfortable when we entered.
    Have fun
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:17 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• I'd do the outdoor space.

I think wiring the media room would be nice, but don't purchase any equipment if you're not going to stay there. People are very picky about what kind of speakers and stuff they like, and technology changes too fast.

The outdoor space will be a permanent fixture- almost like an extension or an extra room. Especially if you're in a nice climate. An outdoor space here in PA is only good for like 6 months out of the year, and would be a waste. Look at a fire pit, some sort of BBQ, maybe a water feature or wire electric and cable out there for outdoor TV!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:19 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• Best ROI - outdoor living space
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:35 PM on Mar. 1, 2013