What should I send my pen pal?

I am a part of a national organization and each year we have a week dedicated to us and during that week they encourage us to connect with other people who are a part of the organization (or who use to be a part of it). This year we are doing a pen pal project. I was partnered with a lady that is in Minnesota. I will be writing her a letter to tell her about myself, my family, job, etc. I am also going to include some knick knacks ( a pen, magnet, brochure, etc) about my organization and the work that I do. I am also going to include some things about my city/state. I would like to add something that is just for her. Any suggestions?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 12:20 PM on Mar. 1, 2013 in Just for Fun

• A small journal. A calendar, a book of qotes or poems.
    Do you have any information on her or is this just being done cold.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• i was going to ask the same thing, do you know anything about her? if not then anything dardenella said would be fine. or you could get a gift card for a nice restaurant or a store that's in her area.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 12:30 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• The only thing that I know is what department of the organization she is in, and that her project involves YMCA. Her address and the reason why she joined. That is all.
    JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 12:39 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• Maybe you could write a poem to her to help with her work.
    kujus04

Answer by kujus04 at 12:47 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• Stationery supplies of course! Nice writing pads and sparkly colored pens. I get mine at TJ Maxx or the Target clearance aisle.

By the way, this sounds like a cool project that even CafeMoms could do as part of a pen pals group. There are always people on here wanting to make new friends.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 12:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• Many years ago I worked in a store that sold perfumes and had sample bottles.
    I asked the manager if I could spray som on some cotton for a project. I showed him the amount of cotton and the plastic bags I had to keep down the smell in the store. He told me fine as long as he showed me one of the projects. He had me make some for his employees (he was the DM) and bought supplies. LOL
    Now I go and ask if I may spray a sample on a small swatch of fabric to test.

You will cut two pieces of cotton or linen fabric. You can stamp the, use fabric markers or embroider as you choose. Cut the perfumed pieces at about 2' square I like these really flat so I do not add a square of cotton batting but you can. Sandwich the pieces with the little square centered and stitch at about the 2' mark. cut 1/4 to 1/2' out side the stitching with pinking shears.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:14 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• If you do not sew do the prep work the same but you will "stitch" with fabric glue instead. allow to dry for a good 12 hours and pink the edges. Thes are good to put in stationary boxes to add a bit of fragrance to the notes.
    If you do not want to do that you could put som herbs in the center instead.

Make a personalized bookmark. or buy one, I like the kind that are like a ribbon with a fob on one end.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:19 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• Maybe if you have a local food/drink that is popular you could send that, or something from a local tourist attraction...
    For example, I'd send Yuengling Lager, some Mrs. T's Pierogies, and probably some kind of coal mining or PA Dutch trinkets.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:24 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• PartyGalAnne, feel free to send the Yuengling and Mrs. T's Pierogies to me.

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 2:30 PM on Mar. 1, 2013