Do you read or tell bedtime stories to your child(ren) ?

I usually tell stories on the topics they want to learn/hear. I have boys so often these involve trains, cars etc. I usually think of one new word to them and make up a story. I still am thinking they miss something...

kujus04

Asked by kujus04 at 1:28 PM on Mar. 1, 2013 in General Parenting

• I did read bedtime stories to them - not so much anymore. They don't seem all that interested in it at bedtime these days. But I do still read to them during the day. We homeschool and part of our day is them reading to themselves, and me reading to them. When I read to them, it's usually the books that might be a bit above their level - say Tom Sawyer or 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Something that I know they would enjoy, but aren't quite ready to read on their own yet. So I read it to them so they get to enjoy it, but I can also answer questions to make sure they really get it. I get them on our Kindles, so they can read along with me. That exposes them to new words, but without the frustration of trying to figure it out all by themselves (because they're so stubborn, they'd rather stare at a word for 2 hours than ask me what it is! lol).
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:38 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• every night I read 2 books
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:40 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• Every night, It's part of our bed time Routine. Gives us that last few mins of snuggle time before it's time to hop in bed. We normally Read a book. Haven't done the making one up thing yet. They like taking turns picking out a book at night.
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 1:42 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• We always read to DD at bedtime. However, we tell her stories while in the car. It's hilarious the stories we can come up with. She chooses the subject and many of the characters and their actions. We get so excited and into these stories, that it wouldn't allow for that relaxing time they are supposed to have before bed.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 2:06 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• Read and tell stories. The 12 year old still gets puppy eyes and asks if I am going to tell a story lol.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:45 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• I read to my 2 and 4 yo's at night. I read to my older 3 until middle school. Now I will read a book at the same time as them and we'll talk about it.

Answer by missanc at 1:54 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• I read her AR book every night before bed.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 2:12 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• I'm impressed some you ladies can make up with stories to tell your kids. We read each night as part of our routine, but I'm no good at telling stories - even real ones that happened to people I know! When I try to tell a story I just end up rambling and getting into pointless side-tracks and people loose interest. :)
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 2:15 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• I have read to him since birth. Every night we snuggle in the rocker and have a story before bedtime. I think I enjoy it just as much if not more than he does!
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:15 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• I think it's great that you tell stories to your kids. My brother is really good at making up wonderful stories for his three boys. I've heard him tell great ones about dragons, or a knight & a dragon. He is into Medieval culture and also loves stuff like Wagner's Ring Cycle (those operas have a giant who turns into a dragon to guard his gold, a hero who suddenly can understand what the birds are saying after he accidentally tastes the blood of the dragon he killed on his sword, etc.) so I imagine that all gives him raw material/ideas. I realized that I didn't do much actual storytelling so I started making up stories about kids, sometimes using material from my parents' childhoods (either telling stories ABOUT when their grandma did this or that, or just using stuff I know and making up something that incorporates those details, so I have a starting point.) Most often, we read books though. Their dad reads to them regularly.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 1:56 PM on Mar. 1, 2013