Good books for a new Catholic/Non-believer???

I was raised Catholic and strayed away from the church for about 15 years. I am a bit of a skeptic and have a hard time with some Catholic 'policies' like the anti-gay stance, etc but am desperate these days to find something to believe in and something for my child to grow up believing. We don't have many churches near us so our option is basically just Catholic. Anyways, Can anyone tell me some good books for a skeptic to read that might help me find my belief???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Mar. 1, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not really sure what you're asking. Do you want books about Catholicism or different belief systems?

I'm reading Rediscover Catholicism by Matthew Kelly right now.  He's a very good writer and gives a lot of history and reasons for many of the traditions. It's a good introduction to Catholicism, I'm reading it now because I'm attending a lecture he's giving at my church later this month.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:57 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• Why is there a NEED to believe?
    I think we either believe there is something there...or we don't. If you believe in it, then find a church and denomination that you feel comfortable with/ in

I am not sure of any books that would be helpful
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:59 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• Before reading any books, I would recommend you sit down and figure out what you truly believe without question. That will help you better decide what religion (if any) you want to pick up. I think it would be more of a detrement to both you and your child to follow a religion just because you want "something" to believe in rather then not following one because that is truly what you believe. I am highly skeptical of people that want to just join a religion to have "somewhere to go" (which is in essence what you are trying to do). Make a list (write it down if you have to) of things you do believe in (God, angels, heaven, hell, etc...) and then go from there.
    - Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:23 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• Why not explore Secular Humanism?  If it's the connection to something bigger than yourself that you miss, but are too skeptical to make yourself believe in supernatural beings, then this might be a good fit.  Many communities have Freethought Associations that meet for fun and to be positive forces in their communities.  Ours participates in charitable activities and has a highway clean-up crew, too.  It's a positive way to be involved in the world that doesn't require rituals or Iron Age superstitions.

Here's a page to the Council for Secular Humanism that also has a "dangerous reading list".

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:24 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• Understand that this is your journey. I'm offering my perspective as one who was religious but cannot justify the superstitions any longer. You will find your own way. My advice is to take your time to think about what makes sense to you, and to not force anything on yourself or your child.
    jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• Before you try to force yourself to believe one thing or another, go HERE and take the beliefnet quiz to figure out what you believe right now and which religions you most identify with.

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:53 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• Why do you need to believe in the supernatural? You certainly don't need to be religious to be a good person or raise a good kid with good morals. I would look into secular humanism if you feel you need some kind of belief system or community.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 4:36 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• I will recommend two books. First, "The Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel. Second, "Surprised by Truth" by Patrick Madrid. You may be able to find both very cheap through Amazon.com used. Don't let anyone pressure you to ignore your desire to find something to believe in, as you put it. My feeling is that this is the Holy Spirit working in your life to draw you closer.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:56 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• I would recommend books by Richard Rohr. He is a Catholic Priest who is a Franciscan. One of his older books, Everything Belongs was very helpful to me. Another is The Naked Now. Another Author who may be helpful to you is Henri Nouen. He also was a Catholic Priest whose writings are/were very helpful to me.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:13 AM on Mar. 5, 2013

• I'm not real knowledgeable about Catholics... But I do know Christ as my Savior. I would just suggest reading the whole Bible. Start in John then read Romans... Romans has a lot of good verses that relate to our sin nature and why we need the Lord in our lives. I like reading the New King James version and find it very helpful. I hope you find your way. It's so good that you are interested in raising your family with a certain Biblical belief.

Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 7:54 PM on Mar. 7, 2013