Do you think religion is what's wrong with the world?

Look at history... how many wars and how many deaths have been caused by religion?

How can it be right if it causes nothing but violence? I don't want to hear about the tiny bit of good it brings because that totally pales in comparrison to the destruction.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:20 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, but I think it can be one of the things that causes us to segregate ourselves into 'us' and 'them' which can contribute to wrongdoing. When we see those other than us as being inferior or even evil rather than as human beings, it can be used to justify behaving cruely towards them. If we did not see 'them' as fundamentally different from 'us' it would be harder to justify fighting them! However I don't think religion is the sole force in this regard, there is also gender, ethnicity, nationality, skin colour.... the list goes on.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:41 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• What about how many people who didn't follow religion but indulged in sick things/thought/imagination and they allowed it to grow so much they decided to kill/rape/molest/torture etc...I don't think they followed religion and honestly that's right on up there in the list!
    No, religion is not what's wrong with the world. It's humans...It doesn't matter if you're in a religion or not...It's JUST simply humans..We have minds of our own and some people use them for bad. I don't follow organized religion..Religion and relationship with God are two different things and you can most certainly see the difference in someone who follows religious rules and someone who doesn't.
    Anonymous

• There is no denying it has caused a lot of problems, no.
    Anonymous

• Maybe.

But I think that it's mostly just the people who use religion to serve their own agenda, and then brainwash everyone else into following them/their way.
    Anonymous

• I think it has alot to do with it. I am not quoting "it is the ultimate weapon of mass destruction" for nothing. If you want the true religion it is Pastafarianism. No wars no deaths caused by the Flying Spaghetti Monster. RAmen.   big smile mini     which reminds me Pastover is coming soon. LOL

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:28 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I will add that there are some religious...um weirdos..but it's not what's wrong with the world...It's WAY too broad of problems to blame it on religion alone...There are SO many things other than that, that influence wrong in the world.
    Anonymous

• I think the wrongs of the world are power and greed.  They come in many forms, political, criminal, corporate and religious!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:39 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• no. because if it wasn't religion causing problems it would be something else. not all wars have been fought over religion (WWI was started b/c of an assasination, WWII was about race, civil wars are usually b/c of country issues, etc). history doesn't remember what something has done for the individual but what it has done on a larger scale.

i think everyone who blames religion for all the worlds problems needs to watch 2 episodes of South Park. they go into the future after science & atheism has replaced religion. and wouldn't ya know it...there were wars being faught about whose science was more correct. i know its just a cartoon, but it makes a good point. its human nature to fight.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:44 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• okmanders :
    I really do love those religious episodes and it's very strange how one can learn something so deep from South Park!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2009