Does your kids still believe in tooth fairy/santa/etc? if not, how did you break the news?

My kids are 7, 8 and 5.
they believe in them, honestly they didn't really were too aware of tooth fairy until 5-6 yrs old, when their teeth started coming out.
so i was just sitting there and wondering, what if someone or classmate told them that they don't exist, they most likely will come home and ask me. I may look a liar to them, if they find out they are myths. how would i break the news? and when is the right time to tell them?
we teach our kids not to lie, but in the end we lie to them.

so .. does your kids know that they tooth fairy isn't real? or have you told them you are tooth fairy helper? how have you gone about it to break the news?
or how do you plan to?

20_mama_3

Asked by 20_mama_3 at 4:44 PM on Mar. 1, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my son turned 10 and kinda stopped believing. he wanted to know the 'truth', so i told him. But i told him i wasn't lying, i was pretending, becasue it's important to let little one's believe in fantasy and magic becasue it promotes their creativity. I told him that all fairy tales and traditions, even the pretend ones, come from some bit of truth. So this year we've been having fun researching and learning where traditions (like easter bunny, tooth fairy, etc) come from and learning about fairy tales and how they reflect culture. It's been a learning experience, and quite fun. I don't lie to my son. He knows the difference between and lie and pretend. He knows i was pretending for his enjoyment.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 11:16 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• the only one they asked about was Santa- and I told them he DOES exist...in all of us. When we are kind or give a gift or whatever, we are being Santa ourselves. They were totally fine with that explanation. They are now 19 and 16, and we still do Santa gifts because it's fun :)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:40 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• My daughter is still a firm believer at five. My stepson likes t help set out the gifts for her. I think at some point kids just figure the whole thing out on their own. If my daughter accused me of lying, I guess I would ask her if she had fun believing in Santa, et al. I would explain that there's a big difference between lying to harm someone or get away with something and giving someone you love gifts and fun holiday memories.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:50 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• We have never done the Santa thing, or the Easter Bunny. We've done the Tooth Fairy, although I don't really know why we started that. Yes, they still believe. I'm thinking that my oldest should probably figure it out soon, but we might have to sit down and tell him, because it probably won't occur to him that we would lie to him.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:45 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• Mine are 3 and 5. They believe in Santa, Easter Bunny they aren't kin on and I doubt they believe it. They have yet to know about the tooth fairy, neither have lost any teeth yet.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:46 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• My kids are 5 and 8. My 8 year old, I think, already knows but we have not told him. My 5 year old still believes. I really think that at some point they figure it out but are kinda 'afraid' to let on. You know just in case they are wrong... lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• Now that i think about it, the Easter bunny that's something they know that the Easter bunny doesn't come to drop them the plastic eggs with candy in the yard ... since me & my fiance got caught already 2yrs ago putting them in the yard while grandma was inside trying to keep them busy, didn't work too well. oldest didn't pay much attention but middle son saw but didn't say anything, until following year he said "When are you going to put the Easter eggs outside mom?".
    the youngest doesn't know yet, but he probably already does, since he has seeing me last year buying the plastic eggs & candy, ha ha. its hard to shop without him, since i always have him with me.
    20_mama_3

Comment by 20_mama_3 (original poster) at 4:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• We are not big on lying to our children so the only exposure they have had has been through friends, but at the age of 5.5 years old my son informed me that I was Santa and the tooth fairy etc. After a long discussion of why he thought that I asked that he not ruin the game for others (namely his sister) and as far as I know he hasn't.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:36 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• Daughter is 7 and yes, she does still believe. In fact, Tooth Fairy is showing up tonight!!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:10 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• boobarandbell - that truly is a good idea. I will keep that in mind. I think my oldest wont mind, he may be a bit confused when times comes to find out, and middle son already kinda has suspicions about it, and he will be asking questions, youngest is the one that concerns me a lot, he gets into traditions a lot and i started worrying how i would break the news to them.
    I definitely like the idea of explain it to them that way and researching about it ... my 7yr old for sure enjoys knowing things about things.
    Thanks! :-)
    20_mama_3

Comment by 20_mama_3 (original poster) at 4:46 PM on Mar. 5, 2013