at what age did your son potty train and was your son as difficult as mine is?

my son is 2 1/2 and has absolutely no desire to potty train. he gets the concept and will go in the potty but just does not want to. when i ask the doc, she said that i cant force him because he will learn to hold it, which is never a good thing. its just really frustrating when i know he knows how to but just doesnt want to and diapers arent gettin any cheaper!!!!

Asked by bia at 8:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My oldest (who is a boy too) didn't go until he was good and ready. He was 3. Pushing his will just start a power struggle. I think just waiting until he's ready is the way to go.

Answer by Eliza34 at 8:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• my son JUST NOW is totally potty trained and he will be three on the 30th of this month. what i did is introduce him on his 2nd b-day to the concept of the potty. and kinda just encouraged it. i never forced it and a couple weeks ago he just started going in the potty. the other thing that worked for me is STOP BUYING DIAPERS/PULLUPS. taking the option away really helped. and ya there were accidents in the pants but i just stuck with it and now hes totally potty trained just shy of three years. good luck to you!

Answer by hotmama83227 at 8:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My 2 older sons both potty trained at 3 yrs 8 mos. They started sitting on the potty at 18 mos each; sometimes actually tricking in a few drops. So I had high hopes. Avg age for boys to potty train is 3 to 3 1/2 yrs; They do so when ready so just relax and remember it really wont be forever till he does.
    My youngest is 20 mos and sits on the potty now but he has only pee'd on the cabinet doors :) Keep the memories for good stories when he decieds he want a gf or wife.

Answer by froggies3sons at 8:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• same as the others, my son was solidly three before he started. and silly me, i assumed if he was trained during the day he would be at night too. it took a few more months to get him fully trained at night. the only thing that worked with my son was getting the thick training underwear. that allowed him to have a small "accident" while running to the bathroom without completly wetting himself. it also saved him alot of embarassment at his daycare if he didn't make it in time. in his mind, if he had a diaper/pull up then it was okay to go in them. makes sense to me. lol.

Answer by ibsqueen2004 at 8:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• All kids are different but your dr is right to tell you not to push it. I am one of those lucky parents whose boys trained early and easily. My oldest at about 15 months, my middle, 22 months and the baby was 90% by 19 months. He is 22 months and just started chosing the big potty over his this week.

My advice is to get a few potties, including one for each bathroom. When you or hubby go to the bathroom allow him to come if he wants and ask if he wants to use his potty. If he does praise him if not say ok and drop it.

He will train when he is ready.

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 11:57 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My son is 2 1/2 yrs ld too. And I can't seem to get him potty trained either. It's really frustrating. I know how you feel. He keeps pooping in his diaper. And yet he pee's in the potty. I'm going to make my son a potty chart. And when he poops give him a big sticker to put on his chart. and when he pee's give him a little sticker. And I'm trying to take hime every two hours to the potty.

Answer by Allene29 at 12:12 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I need potty training advice.  My son will be three on the 30th, and he is not fully potty trained.  He will urinate in the potty by himself without even being asked if he has to go.  However, there is a catch.  He will only do this if he bottomless.  If he has a pull up, underwear, or pants on he will pee in them.  And he absolutely refuses to poo in the potty.  I've tried sitting and reading with him, but he just won't go.  As soon as I put the pull up on, he will go.  I obviously need him to wear pants in public.  Please help.  I also think that him being in daycare isn't helping.  I think that they have too many kids to watch, and don't make potty training a priority.  I don't know what else to do.  Has anyone found a program that works?  I do not want to spend money on something that doesn't work.  Thanks!

Answer by NoahsMom777 at 9:16 PM on Dec. 21, 2008