Are there certain breeds of dogs you don't like or do you think it is how they are raised?

I used to think that Pit Bulls were all vicous, Dalmations nipped kids, Akitas were mean as well.. blah blah blah, so I was ignorant and "one of those". Well, I was in Vet Tech school and a friend of mine had two dogs... well, they had puppies b/c she didn't fix them in time. She asked if I wanted one, they were pit bulls. I was very skeptical at first but quickly fell in love with the parents and puppies. We've had her for three years and absolutely no problems, my 2 year old and her are best friends by far! I think it is how you raise them, what do you think? This isn't to start a fight, just wondering.

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 7:22 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I fully believe that it is all in how you raise them, however, I am not fond of little yapper dogs. They annoy me, lol.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:24 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Being the ex-owner of a 120lb sweetheart Rottweiler - I know it's all about how they are raised.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 7:25 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• i have some dogs i dont like cuase they annoy me like the little yappers and beagels i hate them cause they howel but there not bad dogs they just cause more headaches than the rest lol
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 7:29 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I believe how you raise them has a lot to do with it. However, you can't 'love' hundreds of years of guard/attack dogs out of their genes. We had friends who had raised and bred AKC Akitas for over 15 years. The female had no pups, wasn't pregnant and was not in heat. Their 6 yr old was watching cartoons after school. Unprovoked, out of the blue the dog mauled and nearly killed their child. I will never believe it is ALL in the raising. This isn't the only story I've heard..and lots of breeds from Akitas to Dobies to Shar=peis and Rottweillers. My opinion as always.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:33 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I do agree with you GrnEyedGrandma. I've worked with dogs for 30 years. If a dog is well bred, then it will be true to it's breed. Yes, you can train well and train horribly, and it'll show. But all breeds have their traits. I think the "good" pit bulls are because of people like those that replied above, and were aware of what they can do, and took precautions in training, etc.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:40 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• its all in how they are raised. just like humans all they need is love and direction.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 8:02 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• OP here-
    I just think that "in the genes" is a silly excuse.... Pit Bulls for example used to be used for many great things, then b/c they are strong dogs were turned into something else. Something that people trained them to do... you can't expect a dog to never turn if it was trained to kill. As for the Akita and kid, I've heard of many dogs attacking kids, all breeds.... My thought is, yes, they are animals... and some do just turn. I think it's the risk we take as pet owners. However, I still believe that it has a lot to do with how they are brought up, how their parents were brought up, etc...
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 8:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• its totally how they were raised..ive always loooved big dogs..rotties, pit bulls, shepards, labs retrievers..etc..i just cant stand lil yappy dogs..their the vicious ones..trying to act all tough when all ya gotta do is step on them..lol..not that i would do that,im just sayin..lol..i dont like little dogs!! the bigger the better!! its alllll how their raised
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 8:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I used to think it was how they were raised, until I personally watched a pit bull charge out of it's house and attack a woman and her 2 little dogs - that were on leashes btw. The woman was walking her dogs down the street.

The people who lived in the house opened the door to go outside and the dog charged out of the house, out into the street, and attacked them without any provocation.

Many times animals are bred to enhance certain traits and downplay other traits, and unfortunately, some of the traits are those that, to me, make them an animal that I don't want around children.

I do think though that while some breeds have more of a tendency, there are good and bad INDIVIDUAL dogs in all breeds.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:38 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Ahh, yes, sailorwifenmom, I've heard of those cases, as well. However, the dog could have accidentally been brought up to be territorial. Owners often allow the dog to think the area surrounding them belongs to that dog, and they will act like they own it. Upon seeing the other dogs, the pit bull could've gone into "get out of my house!" mode. Dogs don't always attack simply because it's the way they're bred.
    Anonymous