Did you know that at the dog shows , the vocals are removed.?

I did not know that , I thought things were quiet? just did not make the connection. Would you do that? I would think you need the warning system.

sunshine196

Asked by sunshine196 at 7:43 PM on Mar. 1, 2013 in Pets

• I've heard that, and frankly, I think it's horrible. It would never be considered acceptable to take away a person's vocal abilities, but it's supposed to be okay to do that to an animal? I just can't get on board with that.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:50 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• I've watched dogs shows & have heard dogs barking. Esp. the winners, b/c they get so excited. I think if anyone does mutilate a dog that way should be prosecuted. That's horrible.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• I don't think it's common. I'm sure some of done it but I think it's more rumor. No way would I do this to my pet.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:01 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• I know people with show dogs. The vocal chords on the dogs are definitely intact.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:02 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• F***ing barbaric. I've heard of the procedure before, but didn't know it would be acceptable at dog shows, where I thought the dogs had to be perfect in every way.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:14 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• Do you mean the vocal cords are removed. No that is not true.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• Not all show dogs have their vocal cords cut. It happens... but it is not the general 'rule'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:10 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• My dogs' father is/was a champion show dog and trust me...he had his bark firmly in tact
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:10 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• I have a friend who is a breeder/handler and she shows her dogs and they do not have their vocal cords cut.

Anyone who does that needs the shit knocked out of them.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 2:49 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• It was part of a story that one of the show dog was killed not sure how and in the interview it was mention that is a practice, the reporter was also socked, I did not know that either, they are trying to figure out who killed the show dog.
    sunshine196

Comment by sunshine196 (original poster) at 8:22 PM on Mar. 1, 2013