Is there a point in getting and Autism Diagnosis as an adult?

My child has Asperger's and I wonder if I do. He is a lot like me growing up. And I can see it in myself. There are things about my reactions to certain situations that even I don't understand. I think it was part of why I lost my last job. I want to know but at the same time I don't know if it is even worth the time to figure it out at this point in my life.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Mar. 1, 2013 in Health

• You might qualify for some services, but you have to decide if it's worth it to you.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:50 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• Not really,unless you're thinking of getting meds
    I'm on the spectrum technically. I have sensory processing problems

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:01 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• If I lost a job because of possible Asperger's, I would want to find out, and then go to therapy to learn coping strategies. For example, I am dyslectic, I know I'm dyslectic, and I will always be dyslectic. I use this knowledge and use coping skills I have learned to compensate.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 9:24 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• My son was just diagnosed with autism. Reading up on it I feel like I fit the bill, probably more so than he does in a lot of ways. But no, I don't think there is a point. There is nothing that can be done.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 9:37 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• i might do some reading or research on the subject before going in to get an adult dx
    how well do you cope in the world? have you figured out how to get along with situations?
    one job loss (imo) does not= getting dx
    if there is a pattern of things that have poor outcome in social areas, maybe a dx and therapy would be of service to you
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:30 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• when mine first had spectrum services
    one of the first things i asked (after the shock, denial, etc wore off)
    i asked if i "caused" this - a.k.a.- did i have and pass on to her
    OT said no, but took while before guilt went away- i wanted to blame myself- like something i could have done different
    Anonymous

• I think it could be helpful,aid in getting services and help others to understand you better
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 11:41 PM on Mar. 4, 2013