What price range should i look in with my income?

My husband and I make 2600 a month, sometimes more with his commission. After bills we have 1500 left. I was thinking 60 thousand but I only like the houses at the 90k range. What do you think?

sunshineemommy

Asked by sunshineemommy at 8:36 PM on Mar. 1, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Is the $2600 net or gross? What other loans do you have?
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:37 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• I think your best bet would be to try to get preapproved for a loan. That'll tell you what you can get and then you can look for houses within that range.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:38 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• It's net. We only have a car loan.
    sunshineemommy

Comment by sunshineemommy (original poster) at 8:42 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• Can I go to any bank and get preapproved?
    sunshineemommy

Comment by sunshineemommy (original poster) at 8:44 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• Ok, well depending on what term you want for your loan, you can probably afford more than you're expecting, because right now rates are really low. Say you buy a $100,000 house and put down 20% (to avoid PMI). Your payments would be around $370 for a 30 year fixed at 3.75%. You could get a 15 year fixed for around 3% right now, making your payments about $550. Keep in mind that is only for P & I, and doesn't include property taxes, homeowners insurance, or HOA dues.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:48 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• I would say if your credit is good 90,000 would be about that~
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 8:48 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• HERE is a mortgage calculator, and HERE is another link you can play with to figure out what number you're comfortable with. Once you have a general idea, go to get pre-approved before you even start looking at houses. Also keep in mind that maintenance on a house will always be more than you expect, and try to plan for that with a savings account.

JulieJacobKyle

• How much do you have saved for a down payment? 20% is a start. $90,000 house,you'd need $18,000

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:07 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• Wow where do you live where you can get a nice house for 90K?? The mortgage on that (with a solid down payment and decent interest rate of course) would probably only be around $500/month.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 9:47 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• Wow. You can't get squat for ninety thousand dollars around here.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:43 PM on Mar. 1, 2013