I am the mom of a 13 year old girl who was just devastated to find out that she hadn't been included in an after party of a party before a school dance. Would you say anything to the mom?

lindamac1210

Asked by lindamac1210 at 3:02 AM on Mar. 2, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• You know if you force your DD on this party. As in talking to the mom and getting her invited with out the kid wanting her their. It wont go over very will. IMO I always think like this, "If you do not want me their, I do not want to be their".

Answer by louise2 at 4:45 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• No, this is part of growing up. It's sad and unfortunate. Pushing your DD into this party won't be good for her either.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:29 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• Sadly, I agree with theses moms. It would be very awkward for her now if she was included because you spoke to the mom.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 6:29 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• Can't you just hear the teasing? "She's only here cause my mom said I had to invite her!"
    She'd be sitting in the corner alone.
    Life isn't fair. We all don't get invited to the party, no one really gets a trophy for just showing up, and your boss doesn't pay you on the back and say "good job" everyday.

Let her have another friend sleep over or something.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 6:59 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• Although it would break my heart to see my daughter devastated like that, it is a part of life. Life isn't fair and she will be left out of things many times in the span of her life. It isn't something that she can feel it is okay to get confrontational about it. Work on helping her feel better...take her out or let her have a friend over.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:07 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• That is a hard thing.
    I don't know your situation (in terms of your relationship/closeness with the other family) but I would not say anything to the mom.
    Would you be doing that in response to your daughter being upset? As if some action needs to be taken in response to this devastation? (To fix it?)
    That is why I wouldn't speak to the mom; because the situation isn't really one that needs fixing.
    She is going through some hard feelings (and the thoughts--doubts & fears--that drive painful feelings), and feelings need feeling, not fixing. Seeing her through it (in contrast to shielding or distracting her from it) would be my goal. It might involve feeling my own hard feelings! And noticing many impulses to step in & relieve her suffering.
    I think your discomfort at seeing her so hurt makes total sense. Hang in there!
    I would NOT tell her that life isn't fair; I'd focus on hearing & understanding her pain. Being there for her.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 7:52 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• There will be many times in her life where she is left out, ignored or skipped over. This is a wonderful teaching opportunity for you, Mom. You can tell her this fact of life, and you can go on to tell her this is why we can't base our happiness on always being included or on what others think about us or whether everyone likes us all the time. Explain to her that happiness comes from within and from being satisfied with that person who is living in there. Even if no one else likes her, and she likes herself, she is a winner!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:54 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• I'd make plans for that time and if anyone asks her if she was invited she can simply say "I couldn't go, my mom made other plans at the time of the party". It won't make her feel less rejected by the party giver but she can save face. I had a party at that age one time and no one showed up!!!! I was devastated and cried like a baby but my mom dried my eyes and told me to go to school Monday and tell people it was the best party ever. Since no one knew no one showed up, no one would know I was exaggerating! Have a great day with her on party day and give her a hug. Sadly this is just another cruel part of growing up.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:15 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• I'd have a party myself & invite the kids that also weren't invited to the other party. Make it better even.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:43 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• I wouldn't. What would be the point? At best, the other girl is forced by her mother to invite your daughter, and then your daughter will be humiliated by being ignored all night and hearing that she's only there because your mom got her mom to invite your daughter.

Not everyone is your friend in life. Not every person that throws a party will invite you. Not everyone you meet will like you. As painful as it is, those are lessons we've all had to learn. Now it's your daughter's turn to start learning those lessons. Just be there for her, let her express her pain and disappointment and find something to do during the time of the party so that she doesn't sit around dwelling on it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:22 AM on Mar. 2, 2013