Do you need to get your husband's permission to buy a new cell phone?

So, yesterday my husband and I were suppose to go out to eat since my in laws would have our son for a few hours, however, he decided he would sleep instead. I took the opportunity to get some errands done. For the past few months I have been thinking about getting rid of my smart phone and just get a basic phone. I was tired of paying internet for my phone, his phone, and at home. I was also tired of "being connected" all the damn time.

As part of my goal of becoming more of a minimalist, I decided to at least look into it. So, last night I went and looked at the basic phone, ask all of my questions that I had, etc. I did find a basic phone that I liked and it was on sale for 99 cents. I decided to go ahead and make the leap. I know this will be a big change for me, but I am still able to use my iphone as an ipod and connect to wi-fi IF I need to (at least during the transition). Anyways, hubby was still asleep when I got home. He did wake up for a little bit last night, ate and then went back to bed. 

This morning he gets up early. I sense someone standing over me and I wake up. He starts yelling at me on why I bought a new phone when my other phone is perfectly fine. I explain to him my reasons and told him that I didn't think I needed his permission, especially since I didn't pay $100 or more for it. It was freaking $1.05 with tax. It didn't affect him in any way. He told me that I need to tell him these things that way he can tell me if it is a bad idea or not. 

Was I wrong to not tell him about my plans? I mean he is either working or sleeping so when I do get to see him, I only tell him the need to know type stuff. Should this have been a need to know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 AM on Mar. 2, 2013 in Relationships

• You don't need permission. You're not a child.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:51 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• I don't need 'permission' but we do discuss every purchase before hand. I would never go out and buy anything other than food with out at least mentioning it to him. that is just how we work though...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:54 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• I guess in his mind you need to get permission. 

Now I do not tell my DH I am going to buy something to get permission.  I just do it because it is what I think married couples should do.  It doesn't mean I still wont do it.

You could have kept your other phone and just stoped the internet on it, you know that right?

Answer by louise2 at 7:56 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• You are right in your decision but it is better to tell your DD or talk to him about buying new cell phone.
    kity-bity

Answer by kity-bity at 7:57 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• He's an ass.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 7:58 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• Louise2, I asked the guy about that and he said that because it is an iPhone/smartphone that I wouldn't be able too. Besides, I would be too tempted to connect to Wi-Fi all the time if I did have the same phone.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:59 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• Not his permission, but I would discuss it with him in case he had information about them that I didn't.

Answer by Bmat at 8:11 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• If it was a huge amount I would say yes you should discuss it first. This phone cost less that a bottle of soda. Do you call him from the gas station before you buy a soda? Tell him he should have npbeen awake.

Ps...I totally understand this stay connected all the time. It's a bit much at times.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 8:40 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• I don't understand this concept of asking my spouse permission. If I want it I get it.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:51 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• I discuss these things (or at least did until recently) with my husband. But, I also have (had) a paranoid man on my hands that would question everything if I didn't at least give him a heads up first. I may not know what to do with myself now that I don't have to do that anymore.
    Is this new behaviour out of your dh or has he always expected you to "ask permission" on things like this?
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:59 AM on Mar. 2, 2013