Is this job really with all this?

I work in a daycare making minimum wage. I have 8 1-2 year olds I deal with every day and they are expected to have a circle time, do a work rotation and not be running all over the room. This as you can imagine with 81-2 year olds is difficult work! On top of that I have to do 16 hours of training each year unpaid as well as fire safety and CPR classes, unpaid. So that is 22 hours a year dedicated to this minimum wage job that goes unpaid. Plus the job it's self is SO hard! Would you think this job was worth it? Or do you think this is why day cares in my area go through teachers like water. I know I am looking...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Mar. 2, 2013 in Money & Work

• That's NOT worth it at all. Fast food pays more than that. Unless this is a stepping stone job,look elsewhere

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:57 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• Is there a military base nearby? They are the only ones I know that pay their daycare workers well. The jobs are important and should have better wages but then so should teachers, police officers and firefighters. Good luck with finding what you want. This is exactly why I taught my daughters to work in an office. If they had to work for min wage for a while they should at least have good working conditions, work weekdays and get paid for all training.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:58 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• All the training is not paid and minimum wage.  Not worht it for me.  I would be looking for a different job.

Answer by louise2 at 8:00 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• I have to say when I hear teachers around here complain about their 38,000 a year it irks me. lol. I so hate this job. I am looking. I just wondered if I was crazy for thinking this was crap.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:08 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• The only bonus is that this company happens to pay for the training. Many day care workers have to pay for their own if they can't find enough free courses offered in their area. So at least I have that. I don't have to pay for any of my training.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:20 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• What training do they pay for ?

I used to do daycare at home and in a commercial setting as well as coach Gymnastics from 2 up. Enjoy what you can until you find something else. Some of the care fields do not pay very well, but there is a great reward making a difference in the lives of others.
    Your post made me smile... I so remember trying to organize the little ones- almost impossible at times... somedays were easier than others.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:37 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• You may want to rewrite the title to your question .....something is missing.... :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:40 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• How badly do you need a job? I wouldn't like it either but don't quit until you get another job.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:41 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• Keep it but keep looking for something better.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:30 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• It's why there's such a high turnover rate. It's harder to get a job if you don't have one, though. Look for something else before you quit.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:44 PM on Mar. 2, 2013