There is a day to "Spread the word to end the word"--the 'R' Word

Retard:
Verb
Delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment.

First off--I have a special needs child. He is (to use the new term) Intellectually Developmental Disabled
His IQ measures that of below normal.
According to the definition, he is retarded. And I am not offended by that.

50 to 100 years ago, the correct terms were 'idiot', 'imbecile' and 'moron'. I have never seen people feel these words to be offensive the way people want to jump all over the 'retard' word. I don't get it. The word wasn't offensive when it became the correct medical term, but now it is offense.
Why? Because people use it to describe other's stupid behaviors?

Are we going to stop saying things are "flame retardant'? Are we going to change the term "Brake retarders"?

Why aren't people offended by the use of 'idiot', 'imbecile' and 'moron'?

No matter what term becomes the 'new' term, it will eventually become the new insult.
And honestly, if your child is "Intellectually developmentally disabled", they are the definition of the 'R' word. Why does changing the term become less offensive?

I honestly don't understand and I do have a child who is, by definition, retarded. That IS the meaning of the word and has been since the 15th century!

Why are people so upset by this word!!!???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Mar. 2, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• it's not the word,it's the intention behind it
    Look at jock type guys calling each other girl,lady,woman,chick
    Look at the words nerd,geek,dweeb

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:06 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• I agree with butterfly - it's about intention. I'm fine with someone saying someone is retarded, if they actually ARE. But to call your friend retarded because he did something stupid, or to call that kid you don't like a retard because you want to make him feel like crap - yeah, that's a problem for me.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:09 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• I don't see them call to end those words

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:09 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• popcorn

PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 9:10 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• Then are you offended by idiot, imbecile and moron?? Because you should be if you go by that thinking.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:10 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• I don't like any of the words you listed. "Retard" has gotten to where it no longer means what it used to, it has evolved into a common slang that people use to hurt one another. I don't allow my children to use any of those words in reference to another person.
    My 15 yo has autism. I don't want anyone calling him retard, imbecile or moron. Why do people feel the need to resort to name calling anyway?

Answer by missanc at 9:10 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• idiot--a person affected with extreme retardation
    imbecile--a person affected with moderate retardation
    moron--a person affected with mild retardation

Why aren't we calling to end THESE words??
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:14 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• So what are you saying? You want people to be able to use that word against your kid and get away with it? Are you all for white people calling blacks nigger too?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:28 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• I don't personally find it offensive and I never really have. I know there are people who use it in an attempt to hurt others, but a word only has the power you give it.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:29 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• I'm not offended by it. Everyone has to find a reason to bitch and whine.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:30 AM on Mar. 2, 2013